Music theory test at Koninklijk Conservatorium Brussels?

Edited: September 10, 2020, 7:13 AM · Hello.
I am currently researching different music universities around Europe, especially checking out the theory exams for the different universities. However, when I read about the Royal Conservatorium Brussels, I could not find any information about any theory exam.
Is there a theory exam? If there is, does anyone have any information about it?

Thanks

PS: If you do know any music university in Europe that doesn't have a music theory entrance exam, or a university with a comparable easy entrance exam, feel free to tell me about it!

Replies (3)

September 10, 2020, 6:55 AM · The best answer you will get is to contact their admissions department, who should be able to give you information about any entrance exams, minimum educational requirements and auditions information. Good luck!
September 10, 2020, 9:13 AM · I have no idea how conservatory admissions in Europe work.

That being said, for any aspiring US performance students reading this, if they like your playing and there is room in a studio, you will get admitted no matter how poorly you perform on any theory test, and if they don’t like your playing, it doesn’t matter how brilliantly you ace any theory test, you won’t be admitted.

September 15, 2020, 3:41 PM · Mary Ellen is right -- all the music schools in the U.S. that I know about give theory tests as part of the audition, but they don't carry any weight on the actual entrance (or denial). They are merely so that if you are accepted, they will know what sort of theory course to place you in. A new student might have to take a remedial theory course which doesn't count towards graduation but which is mandatory before they can get into the "real" theory courses that they must pass to get their degree.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe