Mold in violin ? (Picture)

September 7, 2020, 4:43 PM · While inspecting the inside of my violin I found this green fuzzy stuff my the end pin. Rice did not get it out. Could this be mold ??
https://imageshack.com/i/pmGVFfy2j

Replies (16)

September 7, 2020, 6:09 PM · If it is mold there might be a detectable characteristic odor. Can you small it?
Edited: September 7, 2020, 6:13 PM · I didn’t look at your picture, but what color is the lining of your case? Is it green to match the fuzzy stuff? Or did the violin ever live in a green lined case?
September 7, 2020, 7:04 PM · Neither on both
September 8, 2020, 12:59 PM · It does have EP strings so maybe those ?
September 8, 2020, 1:21 PM · In my untrained opinion, it does not appear to be consistent with a "mold" condition. For one, the violin does not seem to be damp inside. Molds usually grow where there is moisture. Also, looking at the picture you provided more closely, it seems there is a green "hair-like" strand, albeit very subtle around the edges, specially on the left side. I don't believe molds would have that type of formation. In my opinion, it's probably a remnant from some fuzzy green cloth like object?
September 8, 2020, 9:43 PM · That doesn't look like mold to me. Some lint got in there from something. I wouldn't worry about it. Next time you have your violin in to the luthier for something else you can ask her to look at it.
September 8, 2020, 9:44 PM · It looks like a green dust bunny that is stuck.
September 9, 2020, 4:28 AM · You'd be best served by taking it to a luthier and letting him/her examine it. And trust them if they say there's no reason for worry. Equally, trust them if they say you should leave it with them to clean out.

Rice will help get moisture out, but it won't necessarily get rid of mold.

September 9, 2020, 12:38 PM · You don't need to rush your violin to a luthier because there's a bit of green stuff in it. Just keep an eye on it. If it's twice the size in a week, then you can panic.
September 9, 2020, 12:48 PM · If you keep your violin in an environment with less than 80% humidity, it's highly unlikely that any mold will present.
September 10, 2020, 10:56 PM · I feel like mold would have some white in there too, and it would look more attached. Maybe it was something that got stuck there.
September 10, 2020, 10:57 PM · I feel like mold would have some white in there too, and it would look more attached. Maybe it was something that got stuck there.
Edited: September 10, 2020, 11:25 PM · Have you had a sniff? Mould often has a distinctive odour. ( don’t know about in violins though)
Edited: September 12, 2020, 9:40 AM · Hard to tell with the limited resolution of the image provided. If I had the original, I could do more, but from what is there, it's the best I can do with some enlargement and sharpening (click on image for more detailed view). It looks like a fuzz to me... adding to my original post: but the only way to know for sure is to pull it out. You have a straight line of sight, so I'd use a wooden skewer with a bit of scotch tape crumbled at the end to poke it and retrieve it carefully. If it is a mold (and I've seen some pretty amazing ones) I would think that spores residue would remain behind.

Roger St-Pierre Photography: Web Uploads &emdash;

September 12, 2020, 1:50 PM · bleach. the magic cure all.
Edited: September 12, 2020, 3:32 PM · Where exactly are we looking in those photos? Is that the joint between the end pin block and the inside back? And if so, what is that gap in the joint? It’s pretty pathetic, truth be told. Could someone have tried to stuff something into the gap in an attempt to stop a buzz? The focus is poor in a difficult place to photograph, but how about Scotchbrite? I suspect that it’s not worth worrying about because the violin itself is probably not worth worrying about. Sorry if my candid opinion reflects poorly on your violin.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe