That's my special power

Edited: September 4, 2020, 7:58 AM · Hey yo musicians, how re u doing?I hope yall re safe and healthy. I want to ask you if I should change my technique, cuz I have this condition: my thumb finger turns too much.
Then I hold the violin like this( imgur.com/a/aYEYUN0 )
The bow I hold like this( imgur.com/a/SqcTfwH )
But I know some people like to hold like this( imgur.com/a/Rwsek5i )
I just cant make it right cuz when I am focused i hold it tighter then my thumb goes ?
Did you get it? My thumb turns 90° to the other side.
Sometimes when I aint holding tight my thumb holding the violin slides.
What do u think?
I think that it's ugly cuz my hand does a weird shape hahahaahah

Replies (22)

Edited: September 4, 2020, 8:29 AM · Ok, this looks a little weird. Your thumb has the ability to bend far backwards; I am not sure if that is what you mean by "turning 90 degrees to the other side".

Can't you just bend the joint in the middle of your thumb forward so that the thumb looks approximately straight? It seems that would allow you to execute a "standard" bow hold or left hand position.

As long as you hold your instrument as shown on the photo I recommend you stand on a deep soft rug when practicing so that nothing bad happens to your instrument if it slides off.

Anyhow, another piece of advice from an old f...: If you want to explain complicated issues standard English tends to work better than the slang of your social circle, lively though it is.

September 4, 2020, 8:31 AM · Both of my kids have thumbs that naturally bend backwards much more than normal and both have struggled with thumb position as a result of it. Their thumbs look similar to yours and are always in a back-bent position neutrally. This is not ideal for violin playing, for either hand, but especially for bow. We have worked to correct the position, primarily by strengthening their thumbs. We have focused more on right hand than left hand. My younger one is still struggling with it to some extent...it takes constant reminders and it still flips backwards on her.
September 4, 2020, 8:37 AM · cuz? u? re?
September 4, 2020, 11:43 AM · Josue: I'm not seeing enough to make a judgement.
How large an angle to the left is the scroll of your violin pointed?
Edited: September 4, 2020, 12:50 PM · Fix that ASAP. It will haunt you forever.
September 4, 2020, 1:36 PM · Paul, I would cut some slack - I believe English is not his first language.

You're going to want to work on both hands. In the way you hold the violin, the primary problem is where your thumb makes contact (too much under the neck) and the fact that the very bottom of your first finger isn't making any contact.

In the right hand, your thumb may be collapsing because you are gripping the bow too tightly, but as Susan mentioned, it could likely be a weakness in the thumb. The thumb needs to be curved - Curved is relaxed, and both hands need to be as relaxed as possible.

This is going to be a really tough thing to fix without a GOOD teacher. If you aren't trying to play anything complicated, you may be able to get away with it, but if you want to play any classical music well, and any other genre WELL, you are going to need to fix this, although I've seen some really weird-looking stuff in the fiddling world once in a while.

September 5, 2020, 9:01 AM · Hi Josue, I do have the same thumb. Is is like everything on the violin a matter of training to have the 'right' hold on both your thumbs. I do recommend you spend time to do so or it will definitely lead to injuries. Like my doctor said to me: that your thumb can do so, does not mean it is made for this posture. So at any time your body will protest against such postures.
September 5, 2020, 2:44 PM · Christian, Paul -

if u r 2 old 2 get this u better join a hip hop forum.

lol

(just kidding)

(I prefer proper english, 2, em, too.)

September 5, 2020, 9:44 PM · Tobais, apparently you dated yourself by putting a period at the end of that sentence!
September 6, 2020, 1:53 AM · As the great Jankelevich said in is book ,there is no way to correct interely this problem because of the conformation of the thumb..But I see really the problem with your the rigth thumb..you have to take the bow with the very tip of the thumb so to reduce the wrong curve of it.in any case I know some violinists that play very well with your left hand position
September 8, 2020, 8:51 AM · Hello yall. Thanks for the replies. I think i'm just gonna try to hold the violin relaxed like this: imgur.com/a/Rwsek5i ; and I will try to hold the bow with the tip of the finger like Maurizio said. Albrecht Zumbrunn, I think that forcing my thumb to stay straight will require me to hold it tight, then I wont be relaxed.
Once i had an idea: putting a little hard sock in my thumbs... then I would be like Toothless with the wing's equipment hahahaha. Although, I see that M Snellen won this, then I think that with hard work i can win this too.

Sorry for my English, I sounded like a 13yo lol
English isn't my first language, I wanted to sound like a native :p

September 11, 2020, 7:47 AM · Hello guys, I just tried it, but i think i'm not able to do this by myself :/ but I'll keep trying.
M Snellen, how did you fix it?
Edited: September 11, 2020, 8:01 AM · Of course you can fix it yourself. Actually, you can only really fix it yourself.

Try not to apply a lot of pressure through your thumbs, because your joints will buckle. And just be persistent---don't let yourself be lazy. Your thumb isn't supposed to be totally straight, by the way. It needs to curve outwards a little bit.

September 11, 2020, 7:33 PM · I used to hold this way imgur.com/a/CxwG5lu when I was younger, but then someone tought me other way, he said that I shouldn't let my index finger's joint touching the violin.
Should I get back to this old way?
September 11, 2020, 7:48 PM · That's the one!
September 14, 2020, 4:04 PM · Omg i was holding it wrong the whole time T-T i lost almost 4 years :(
Ok lets fix it.
Thank you people!
September 14, 2020, 5:10 PM · man now i feel kinda sad
I feel like im learning it all over again from the beginning
:c
Do you have any exercise books suggestion?
Edited: September 14, 2020, 6:13 PM · The first two pages of Schradieck are a very simple exercise for having a relaxed hand, and how your fingers move quietly and quickly from having the relaxed hand. The thing is, the page itself looks almost too simple, and it may be helpful for you to have someone qualified show you.

Check this out. She's a great player, and this should be a good video to follow and do the exercises with. Below the video, you will find the link to the Schradieck exercises. They are really great exercises that I still use regularly.

Here is the sheet music for the Schradieck

September 15, 2020, 7:29 AM · My thumb is naturally a little bent back when it is neutral and relaxed. I think it bothered my beginning teachers a lot, but nobody since then has cared since there isn't any tension.

I am mildly hyperflexed.

September 15, 2020, 10:10 AM · Thanks very much, Christian! I was playing the Hans Sitt, but now I'm gonna stop playing it for a while and face the Schradieck.

Lydia, look at mine: imgur.com/a/rmALnwL
My grandfather also had this kinda thumb, me and my family like to say that's a 'to count money' thumb hahaha

September 15, 2020, 11:46 AM · Josue, if you look at different historical treatises, there is a lot of variation on where precisely the thumb is recommended to go, which leads me to believe that it is fairly individual. The important part is that you have the contact with the side of the index finger (although this contact releases with vibrato), that you maintain a straight and relaxed wrist, and that you find the most relaxed place for your thumb with bearing in mind those other two factors, and always pay attention to make sure your thumb is not gripping. People's hands and fingers have all kinds of different shapes, so the very small details will vary.
September 15, 2020, 1:20 PM · True. I appreciate your help.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe