Can you help me with these E-Violins? Hidersine HEV3 / Harley Benton HBV 990BEM

September 3, 2020, 4:43 PM · Hey there. It is my first post here :3

I would like to get myself a Violin. Since I am going to study soon and I don't want to disturb anybody, I was considering getting myself an electric Violin, since it is quieter than an acoustic and I would like to have the option to be a bit more freely on trying different things/styles.
I was considering, getting the Bunnel EDGE, but I could not find any European store that would sell it. And the American Store doesn't ship to Europe (might also blow my budget of about 250euros :( ).

Since I'd like to play with a Bluetooth-transmitter (I don't like cables too much), it might be disturbing if the jack is on the rear of the violin. Therefore I came across the two Models mentioned above (which have their jack on the side):

Hidersine HEV3:
I could not find that much info on the HEV3 and Hidersine as a Violin brand. Do they make good instruments? Can anyone tell me from experience of that model? Do you know, what difference the body beeing Zebrawood laminate (top and back) might have?

Harley Benton HBV 990BEM:
Same here, if you have experience with the model or Brand, feel free to share :)
I am concerned with this instrument, because of its materials (for example the Fretboard is Birch). What do you think of it? I do also have kind of sweaty hands from time to time - might that cause the color of the Fretboard to rub off (not sure if this is the right expression ,:D)?

I would be very grateful if you could help me. And I appreciate any advices! =)

Replies (10)

September 4, 2020, 7:50 AM · Welcome Mr.Werner!

My advice for you is to have a competent violinist help you pick out a violin and bow that you can afford and learn to play on it. Then when you need to be quiet to avoid disturbing others put a metal heavy practice mute on top of the bridge which should allow you to play and be less obtrusive in your household. With the violin, you have to train your muscles to make the sound you want through bow speed and pressure and I do not think you will get the proper aural feedback to do this on a electric violin.

If your goal is to do Jean Luc Ponty style learn the basics before branching off into electronic playing.

Edited: September 4, 2020, 8:03 AM · I have a Hidersine HEV1.
It is excellent for the money.
https://www.hidersine.com/instruments/violins

I didn't know the HEV3 existed.

Don't worry about the electronics - silent violins are not totally silent. You can hear them perfectly well without phones.

They can be found on Amazon.co.uk for a couple of hundred Euros.

Hidersine products can be found on Amazon.de, but the violins not quite so easily.
https://www.amazon.de/s?k=hidersine&i=mi&__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

September 5, 2020, 5:15 AM · Thank you both so far. :)

I have not informed myself that much about differences of bows yet. What characteristics make a bow "good"? O.o

Edited: September 5, 2020, 6:36 AM · "What characteristics make a bow "good"?"

Be careful what you ask.
On this forum there are people who, by "good", understand you to mean cost more than 3,000 Euros.

Good for whom, good for what?

Don't worry about it (yet). Within your budget, the Hidersine basic wood bow (as supplied with their electric violins) is excellent for the money.
Beyond your budget the Col Legno Standard (carbon) is excellent for the money.

Later on you can do some more general research.

September 5, 2020, 6:33 AM · True ,:D
That sounds good so far :)

What I was thinking about was, if the materials of the bow have a big influence, or the weight or just mostly the bow hair or ...?

Edited: September 5, 2020, 6:58 AM · At your budget you won't have a huge choice.

Hidersine also make carbon bows, and generally speaking carbon outperforms wood until you start paying a lot.
A 200Euro violin needs maybe a 50Euro carbon bow. It will cost more than that for a rehair, so you'll have to replace it with a new one each time and you'll want your bow to be reproducible.
You won't have much choice of hair or weight - choose something around 61g+/-.

Otherwise at your budget you'll be looking at a lot of Chinese imports, and reliability won't be guaranteed. I was lucky - two years ago I got a cheap Chinese Col Legno copy. Then someone in Texas bought the lot and doubled their price. But it's probably impossible to replace, so there was no real point.

Sorry, that was all written in a hurry. I'm off for the weekend now and I dare say it will be torn to shreds in my absence!

P.S. The Harley Bentons look as though they may be cheaper and inferior to the Hidersine.

September 5, 2020, 7:20 AM · Do not get a bluetooth transmitter! Bluetooth has latency issues. But there are wonderful radio-frequency wireless systems that start at around $40US at Amazon and go up from there. I have a Glasser carbon-composite electric/acoustic violin and I use the Boss WL-20L wireless system with it and it works great. Instantaneous response out of the amplifier.

If you're thinking about bluetooth headphones, my advice is to use wired headphones for practice.

Bluetooth is great for listening to music because you don't realize that the sound is heard a second or two after it was transmitted since there isn't any need to coordinate things. But trying to hear what you're playing at the instant you're playing it is important in learning to play an instrument and bluetooth just won't cut it.

Another consideration is whether the e-violins you're considering have an active pre-amp in them or not. The Glasser I have has an active preamp, with 2 AAA batteries in it, so it can power heaphones. But a pickup that is passive (such as the pickups in an electric guitar) doesn't provide a powerful enough signal to drive headphones without some sort of amplification along the way.

September 5, 2020, 10:05 AM · There is soo much valuable information here ^-^

@Gordon: First, have a great vacation! :)
How does it come, that a rehair is more expensive than a new bow? :O
I also came across the Harley Benton's.. and some Kinglos Violins, which appeared quite similar but more expensive (also about 200euros). ??

@David: I will inform myself on the bluetooth vs. radio-frequency's, thank you for the advise. :)
For my Headphones: I got good Wireless Headphones which I am using for higher level Esports (which also depends on extremely low Latency's). I will test, if there are any issues - when I finally decided on the instrument.^^
At the moment I am only considering Violins with an active pre-amp, because I want the option to use Headphones without another amplifier in between.
Are there any advantages which would speak against an active-preamp?

September 6, 2020, 5:05 AM · Regarding the bluetooth -- the bluetooth from your computer or game console may be coming from a more powerful bluetooth transmitter (capable of handling multiple connections, simply better designed for near-zero-latency, etc.) than what you can find in plug-in bluetooth transmitters. So definitely do research and if possible ask among musicians for receommendations of what to get. The radio-frequency wireless hookups have no noticeable latency. But you can't use them for bluetooth heaphones.

There are two advantages in not having an active pre-amp on the violin.
1) the weight. On my Glasser the preamp and the 2 batteries are in the chin-rest so that part of the violin rests on my shoulder and I don't find the added weight to be an issue compared to my wooden violin. But it is a bit heavier to be sure.
2) the nature of the pre-amp. You're stuck with the tone that the pre-amp puts out.

So if your electric violin has passive pickups (no pre-amp) it will be lighter and you have the added benefit of being able to pick and choose exactly the best pre-amp to suit your concept of tone.

The disadvantage of not having an active pre-amp on the violin is that you have more gear to cart around and hookup when you want to play, you need to get amplified headphones, which are heavier than non-amplified heaphones, and you can't simply plug in a pair of very lightweight earbuds for practicing when you don't want heavier powered headphones on.

Edited: September 9, 2020, 9:37 AM · "How does it come, that a rehair is more expensive than a new bow?"

We can guess that cheap bows are haired by machine, and perhaps also with inferior hair. Proper rehairing is a skilled piece of handiwork.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe