New Cecilia rosin?

September 3, 2020, 8:37 AM · So Tartini/Andrea is now named Cecilia, and they have a new variety. Anyone tried it, and compared with the Solo or Piacere?

Replies (11)

September 10, 2020, 3:13 AM · I'm so sorry they renamed their rosin because the brand name "Cecilia" is one used on a particularly horrible line of Chinese imported instruments. When I saw the title I thought the post was a bad joke.
September 10, 2020, 4:03 AM · me too!!
Edited: September 10, 2020, 4:22 AM · That makes Purcell, Simon & Garfunkel a bad joke, too - something has to be done. Roberts B to the rescue?
Edited: October 1, 2020, 9:43 PM · The CECILIA SIGNATURE rosins for violin and viola are particularly good - as good as the publicity states.

I bought the half-size cakes - They are plenty big and certainly more convenient size for carrying in your cas3e or pocket.

I have not tried their "signature" cello rosin yet - maybe later today!

LATER: Yeah! Their cello rosin is as good as the violin and viola Cecilia Signature rosins. As good as any I have ever used. What I don't know yet is how these rosins will play through 90-minute mark in rehearsals or performances.

SHAR used this endorsement:
"I have been trying out the new Signature Formula from your CECILIA Rosin collection and I really love it. It is strong but not too grainy creating a full and rich sound. It also lasts longer so I don’t have to rosin my bow as often. I have tried at least 30 different brands of rosins over the years, but CECILIA Signature is my favorite. Bravo!" - Glenn Dictrow, Former Concertmaster - The New York Philharmonic

October 2, 2020, 10:52 PM · How does it compare to the Solo?
October 3, 2020, 7:08 AM · I first started using the "Cecilia" rosins way back when they were "Tartini" and continued through "Andrea." They were my preferred rosins for some years following LIEBENZELLER and before my flirtation with MAGIC that was followed by settling on LEATHERWOOD. I think theere is no comparison to Tartini/Andrea/Cecilia SOLO. SO - even though I have been a regular user of LEATHERWOOD rosins on violin, viola and cello for several years my first impressions of CECILIA SIGNATURE rosins are that they are the best rosins for me that I have ever used.

The full rich tone, the ability to also get "expressive" variations with the bow were noticeable to me immediately.
The biggest surprise occurred with the cello rosin; using it with my Paul Martin Siefried cello bow allowed it to sound decent in the third octave of the C string of my preferred cello. This bow has never before been able to do that.

I still have more Cecilia "experimenting" to do.

And, by the way, the 1/2 cake is not that small - it is the same size as my old Tartini and Andrea cakes.

Edited: October 3, 2020, 8:35 AM · Yea, annoying they changed the perfectly good name of Andrea to Cecilia.

Incidentally, I dropped my solo yesterday and smashed it. I've ordered a silicone cake tray in an attempt to fix it...

https://imgshare.io/image/img-20201003-141902.NvZ1Pw

October 3, 2020, 8:48 AM · What I have done to resurrect broken rosin cakes is to simply shape aluminum foil to an appropriate size cylindrical cake-shape mold. Heat the rosin pieces in this mold in a toaster oven to just under 200°F and remove it from heating just as it all appears to have melted. It makes a nice looking cake.

I think you want to heat it to the lowest possible temperature for the shortest possible time to minimize vaporization of (possibly) important constituents.

Edited: October 3, 2020, 12:41 PM · I might try that if the silicone technique doesn't work.

edit:

Tealight case and double-sided sticky tape to the rescue... lol

https://imgshare.io/image/rosin.NvEhwe

October 3, 2020, 12:50 PM · "I think you want to heat it to the lowest possible temperature for the shortest possible time to minimize vaporization of (possibly) important constituents."

As a retired adhesive chemist I worked with rosin and similar materials for 47 years and I would not melt rosin in my home. But if you do, make sure you have adequate ventilation. Rosin vapors can cause a strong allergic reaction in some people.

October 4, 2020, 4:45 AM · I am very cautious and somewhat afraid of working with chemicals such as paint and lacquer thinner and turpentine and also wonder how safe it is to heat up broken rosin in the kitchen to reform it to be reusable again. I have read of a few people making their own violin varnish on the stove creating a disastrous result. I am a thrifty man but think it might be safer to just go buy a new cake of rosin. I haven't bought any new rosin in two years but it seems that a fresh cake seems better than old stuff, particularly with the Bakers rosin.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

ARIA International Summer Academy

Meadowmount School of Music

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe