Scales for audition

September 3, 2020, 5:53 AM · My daughter, 12 y.o., is preparing her repertoire for summer program auditions for 2021 (assuming anything actually takes place then...) For auditions that require scales, what is a useful strategy for approaching this? Most of the written requirements simply state: "2 three-octave scales." Is it just that, player's preference - or should she record them in major/minor groups? Is there a preference for variety - say, that demonstrate different finger patterns? We're just not sure concretely what adjudicators are looking for apart from tuning and facility up-and-down the fingerboard.

Replies (2)

September 3, 2020, 6:54 AM · They are looking for in tune and in rhythm scales. Beyond that, they don't really care, though I would avoid doing two that are relatively the same (ie two easy major keys).

Is this a live audition? If so, they likely will request specific scales at the live audition. If not, then it is your choice. Usually when specific scales are not specified, we do go for contrast. With only 2 scales, I would do one major and one minor. I would do one easier one like G or A and one trickier one with more flats or sharps.

Seeing as how you have at least 4 months to learn these, I wouldn't worry too much about the specific ones until the last month or so. Instead, do your normal scale practice (like Flesch), and then at the end run through at minimum 6 of the 24 scales with scale only. You can use different rhythms or bowings to make it more interesting or just do 3 or 6 per bow.

September 3, 2020, 7:26 AM · Susan - It's a recorded audition. This is all very helpful - thank you.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe