Thankful for the support from this forum!

Edited: August 31, 2020, 6:15 AM · Almost a month ago I finally mentioned a problem I've had with my first violin since I bought it 20 months ago. I really thought that it was "me" as a returnee after a 45 year hiatus and that the need to have lots of work done to it every three months normal. I couldn't have my teacher look at it once I started questioning things as we've had remote lessons only since March.

Thanks to Mary, Lydia, David Burgess, Lyndon, Andrew Victor, Christian, Cotton, Andrew, Adalberto, and Frieda. Because of your input on that thread I seriously questioned my initial assumptions and spoke with a local luthier and my teacher. If I forgot anyone else - I send you my thanks as well :-)

It soon became apparent that the first violin still had serious setup issues even after major work done to it every 3-4 months and it just wasn't worth putting in more money. With that information I stumbled across an antique with a great sound - for only $1,400 (actually $1,850 but the luthier allowed a trade-in which I hasn't expected)! I will not outgrow this violin.

If it hadn't been for this forum I would still be struggling with that first violin. It's so much easier to play and it sounds great - even when "I" play it - I certainly didn't have a magical improvement overnight - but am no longer fighting my violin.

I just wanted to pass along my thanks for your comments, and patience with this enthusiastic returnee!

Replies (8)

August 30, 2020, 6:01 PM · One point for Lyndon.
August 30, 2020, 6:17 PM · I'm not sure how helpful I was, but I'm glad you were able to find something that works for you. Life's too short for frenemies.
August 30, 2020, 6:44 PM · Thanks Paul, didn't want to overlook Lyndon or you!

Christian - agreed - and I really had just assumed for a long time that it was me rather than the instrument. It seemed a logical assumption - but I think I had to reach a certain point where I could see that it was otherwise.

August 30, 2020, 7:08 PM · Wonderful news!
August 30, 2020, 7:12 PM · I am pleased if I have been of any help. I hope you will continue to post and keep us informed of your progress, and insights you gain.

I feel I have been helped a great deal over the past 20 years by my on line friends at maestronet.com. cellochat, and violinist.com .

August 30, 2020, 7:42 PM · So glad you are on the right path now! This violin thing is SUCH a long learning curve. On to Biber! and Baroque bows... and so much more...
August 30, 2020, 8:35 PM · Biber is a major long-term goal :) I WILL say that the voice of my new violin is just so rich and resonant that I can picture it being used for the Passagalia. Not in any HIP fashion of course, but I just want to play it someday and hopefully not hurt the ears of anyone listening :)

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe