Allegro Brillante by William Ten Have

August 26, 2020, 1:37 AM · Just wondering if there is an orchestral accompaniment available for Allegro Brillante by William Ten Have? I only see a piano accompaniment for the solo violin part. This is is great underplayed piece but may not be suitable for junior concerto competitions if it can't be played with an orchestra.

Thanks for your input!

Replies (6)

August 26, 2020, 6:59 AM · YouTube has an orchestral version
August 26, 2020, 8:52 AM · Someone may have orchestrated it. It's a great competition piece, but it doesn't qualify as a "concerto" for the purposes of any competition that requires the work to actually be a concerto, as opposed to any work for which an orchestral score is acquirable.
August 26, 2020, 10:37 AM · Thank you! I somehow can't find any orchestral arrangement on YouTube, so if you would be so kind as to post the link, I would appreciate it. The concerto competition allows any piece that could be played with an orchestra. Just trying to determine if it's possible for this piece or not.
August 26, 2020, 11:21 AM · Sorry, I can't find it. I'm sure I heard an orchestral introduction somewhere...
Edited: August 26, 2020, 2:27 PM · I agree that's a nice piece. It's not uncommon for junior "concerto" competitions to allow salon pieces, but there has to be a legitimate, commercially available orchestral accompaniment. Not some bootleg thing. They allow this because usually such competitions only have you playing one concerto movement anyway. In our local music school, there is also the requirement that the orchestral part be entirely strings because then the string orchestra of the music school plays the accompaniment for the winners in a special concert. So basically you cannot play anything past Mozart, and even those orchestrations have to be rearranged so that key woodwind parts are heard. The "junior" competitions in Lydia's area may not be representative because she lives in a place where 8-year-olds are routinely playing Bruch and Lalo.
Edited: August 28, 2020, 8:33 AM · OMG, what memories this title brings... I played this piece as a kid. Something of a young person's Zigeunerwiesen. Thank you for making me feel young again, Nisha!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe