Favorite warm up etude or scale book, etc?

August 21, 2020, 5:28 PM · Mine is Schradieck Book 1 No. 1.
I have Simon Fischer's Warming Up book and maybe I should start that.

Anywho, I'm looking to change it up.

Replies (19)

August 21, 2020, 5:43 PM · I like Ysaye's Scale "Book", as it starts with nice bow arm warm up exercises. In just a few pages, you will probably be ready to start practicing anything else.

I do not have Fischer's Warm Up book, however, and am interested in obtaining it at some point.

August 21, 2020, 6:16 PM · I've been looking at Dont Op. 37, no. 1 as a warm up lately. Kinda like Schradieck with some additional elements going on.
August 21, 2020, 8:03 PM · Sauret cadenza.
August 21, 2020, 9:13 PM · +1 for Ysaye
Edited: August 23, 2020, 3:22 PM · I like to choose something different each time. I can't start with something like Schradieck No. 1 or Dont Op. 37 No. 1 because the notes are too fast and my forearm will lock up. I need to actually warm up before doing something like that.

The Mazas Op. 36 is a great book of studies. For warming up it's hard to beat No. 4, 5, and 6. Also Kreutzer No. 2, 3, and 5 (just with normal detache bowing), and No. 10 is one of my favorites for warming up too.

I have enough Fischer books for now -- I don't plan on getting "Warming Up" soon.

August 22, 2020, 3:17 AM · 30 pushups. My arms get very warm.

+1 for Ysaye, too. Some random trills for left hand.

August 22, 2020, 10:31 AM · My habit has become to begin a practice session with Mazas. I pick from the book according to my mood. Mostly I prefer those that aim at smoothness and legato such as no. 8, 24, 32, 38, 40, 48.

"Warming up" as such has never done much for me, not in music nor in sports (at which I do not excel, I have to admit). But those studies provide a good starting point. I have tried scales to begin but it is difficult not to be bored by them if they reappear every day. Somebody more disciplined might not have that problem.

August 22, 2020, 11:32 AM · slow scales
August 22, 2020, 3:10 PM · I can't do Schradieck effectively first thing in a session, especially if it's 6 am.

Things always go best for me if I start with basic bow control exercises (speed, pressure, sounding point). Sometimes use things from Fischer's books (which he took from Delay, primarily).

I also find that my left hand warms up well with vibrato exercises, particularly ones aimed at relaxation.

10 min of these and I'm ready to hit scales. Schradieck comes after that.

August 23, 2020, 10:53 AM · Great responses, thanks everyone!
August 23, 2020, 12:06 PM · I happen to be a Sevcik guy, only because I was introduced to it first. But the principles are largely similar to Schradieck; I do a measure or two a day from the first five numbers of Op. 1 Bk. 1. I also do a bit of Carl Flesch Urstudien (very useful if pressed for time) and parts of Dounis Op. 12, The Artist’s Technique, and if I’m feeling courageous that day, a measure or two of his Op. 15, The Absolute Independence of the Fingers.
I don’t have Simon Fischer’s Warning Up Book, but I’m interested in getting it sometime soon.
August 23, 2020, 4:07 PM · Paganini Caprice #5 played very slowly and with a hypercritical ear for intonation, shifting, articulation, and string crossings. Also, any scale (both major and minor) from Elisabeth Gilels' Daily Exercises for the Violinist.
Edited: August 23, 2020, 4:26 PM · I like to use Bach Cello Suite No. 1 to warm up (on viola). For me it's a more relaxed warm-up than scales or etudes because it doesn't put my mind in drill mode.
August 23, 2020, 11:14 PM · Selections from the Dounis collection that focus on finger independence and stretch, vertical/horizontal finger action, and bow control.
August 24, 2020, 9:26 PM · Don't worry, there's always the other half.
August 25, 2020, 10:47 AM · I am not using any book for warm-up and scales now. In the past I used Sevcik Op. 1 part 3, first half of the book, which is similar to the Yost Scale and Arpeggio book. I never liked the Flesch book and gave away my copy years ago. A comprehensive version that is out of print is Leon Fontaine, Scale and Arpeggio Manual. Now I do the three-octave scales and arpeggios from memory with this personal system; Start in first position. Start the third octave with the first finger on the E string, with 4 different fingerings for the top octave of the scale. For finger independence and velocity all I need is the "taps and lifts" exercise, upper and lower grace-notes at the whole- and half-step. A printed version of that can be found in one of the Doflein books.
A substitute for an arpeggio routine would be Kreutzer # 12
A substitute for a scale routine would be Rode # 6.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe