3/4 cases

August 17, 2020, 1:38 PM · My daughter is getting a 3/4 violin in the next week or so. Is it worthwhile buying a 3/4 case or should we just buy a full-size and pad it? There don't seem to be too many 3/4 cases out there. I expect her to be on the 3/4 size for 18-24 months, based on her usual growth.

Replies (10)

Edited: August 17, 2020, 1:44 PM · Is the violin you’re purchasing expensive enough to require an expensive case?
What are the needs of the case?

I have one student that is currently on a 3/4 violin, and uses a BAM full-size case, padded out at the tailpiece end of the violin. It works well. (edit: of course you don’t need to buy a BAM case, this is just an example I know of).

I can’t see any harm in buying a full size case now if you wanted to.

August 17, 2020, 3:20 PM · The one she is looking at is around the $2000 range, so not tremendously pricy, but not cheap either.
August 17, 2020, 3:48 PM · $2000 is not pricey??? Why not spend $300 on a good suspension case? Save the rest for a bow. The $300 case is just fine for my fine (and pricey) Italian violins.
Edited: August 17, 2020, 4:20 PM · The VIOLIN is $2000, not the case! Sorry if that wasn't clear. We plan on buying a decent case -- it is just whether we should buy a 3/4 now or a full size.
August 17, 2020, 7:49 PM · The violin won't be growing much in the next 18-24 months, so whether it sits in your closet or is traded for a full-size, it will benefit from having its own case.
Edited: August 17, 2020, 8:06 PM · A violin maker recommended this, an inexpensive, but very safe, lightweight case. Protec Max Student 3/4 Violin Case. $59 or so. They also sell a 4/4 for the same price.https://www.amazon.com/s?k=protec+max+violin+case+4%2F4&i=mi&ref=nb_sb_noss You can get it in pink or purple rather than black if you like.

You should have bought my 3/4 for $1700 which is early 20th c. French. I used it as a violino piccolo in Bach Brandenburg concerto #1. Bruce

Concerning your post, I was almost going to ask if you would be my mother. :) Bruce

Edited: August 22, 2020, 2:55 AM · There’s the Gewa pure violin case. It works for a 3/4 violin and you can adjust the neck cushion so that it will fit a 4/4 violin whenever your daughter is ready for one so she’ll be able to use the case for quite some time. And it’s by Gewa which is a very well known case manufacturer. You can get it at a couple places. Concord musical supplies has it and so does greatviolincases.com. It’s about $250 so falls under $300 and you’re getting a quality case. It comes in an oblong version as well as a shaped version which is about $220.

There’s an earlier thread about the case here started by Gene Wie almost a year ago: https://www.violinist.com/discussion/thread.cfm?page=3418

August 22, 2020, 11:59 AM · Thanks all! We ended up going with a Revelle case that can be adjustable for either 3/4 or full size. Great option for a smaller kid who can't carry a huge case but still wants lots of pockets!
August 22, 2020, 12:41 PM · This is late, but my daughter got a Tonarelli for her 3/4 with a pad, then kept it for her full size. She liked the colors etc..

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe