Violin Bow stamped E. Gartner Stuttgart

July 24, 2020, 7:53 PM · Kind greetings.

I obtained an old, octagonal pernambuco violin bow with silver windings. It's stamped E. Gartner Stuttgart. I was told it was made in the late 1800's. It's a pleasure to play with. Can anyone tell me anything about it?

Thank you.

Replies (8)

July 24, 2020, 8:00 PM · you might try posting pictures on Maestronet.com
July 24, 2020, 8:14 PM · Thank you.
July 24, 2020, 10:50 PM · COULD BE A REAL GEM:
https://tarisio.com/cozio-archive/price-history/?Maker_ID=1096
July 25, 2020, 7:09 AM · You need to establish that it is a genuine Garner, almost all these stamps were faked at some point or another
July 25, 2020, 9:10 AM · E. Gartner was a violin maker, it's most likely he would purchase bows for his shop and brand them with his name. They were very likely made in Markneukirchen at that time period. I highly doubt this stamp was faked. Thing would be to see if the actual maker could be determined, if not the bow is probably not worth that much financially, but if it plays great, who cares at that point. Realistically you should take it to reputable shop for a real evaluation.
Edited: July 25, 2020, 10:05 AM · You seem to be unaware of the price history linked above, his bows are quite valuable
July 25, 2020, 12:39 PM · In the Grunke German Bow text, he mentions Gartner, yes a violin maker, "A number of the bows he sold in his shop under his name had been made by some of the best bowmakers of his time."

The first bow illustrated is a Sartory, who Grunke says delivered unstamped bows to Gartner's shop until the onset of WW 2. The second bow illustrated is a Pfretzschner, and the third a Nurnburger. He also makes mention that the simpler, sometimes nickel mounted, bows were made by various workshops in the Vogtland and were delivered to Stuttgart.

So, without good pictures, who knows what it actually is. Take it to a shop with a reputable bow "expert" for evaluation. It could be a $500 bow, or a 20k bow...

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe