Richard Strauss only piece for solo violin - Daphne Etude

Edited: July 24, 2020, 5:06 AM · I found out about this little gem a year or so a go. I wonder how many of this site's readers knew Strauss wrote a piece for solo violin?

Here it is - a recording I made a couple of months ago.

Replies (9)

July 24, 2020, 5:22 AM · I found this in the list of works by Richard Strauss on IMSLP:

TrV 272b, AV 141, Daphne-Etude in G major, for violin and piano. Arranged from Daphne, TrV 272. 1945.

This mentions the piano? It does indeed sound a bit thin for solo violin (although you play it beautifully!) Also it is hardly an etude in my opinion ;-) Does anyone know the background, or occasion, that prompted Strauss to write out this little arrangement from a melody from his opera Daphne? Probably he wrote it out for a family member or a friend or something? Anyway, James, very interesting and thanks for sharing!

July 24, 2020, 5:26 AM · Hi. It is indeed a solo violin piece - the IMSLP entry is incorrect! The manuscript is in the British Library. You guess correctly - it was written for his grandson. It uses one of the themes from his opera, Daphne, written seven years earlier.
Edited: July 24, 2020, 5:44 AM · A fabulous little nugget, thank you!

It isn't entirely relevant but I was twice involved in concert performances of this opera, conducted by Ruth Gipps and Norman Del Mar. Tristan and Isolde it ain't - it culminates with the heroine slowly turning into a tree.

July 24, 2020, 6:04 AM · Oh wow - yes odd plot.
Edited: July 24, 2020, 6:44 AM · James, you'd be justified in keeping it for yourself but if you were to transcribe the piece and upload it to IMSLP (hosted in Canada where Strauss's music is public domain) I suspect it would get performed quite a lot!
July 24, 2020, 8:50 AM · I wouldn't wish to claim ownership of the piece - 3 violinists have recorded it before I did, although clearly it is a rarity in the solo violin repertoire. The music is available here. https://www.stretta-music.com/strauss-2-spaete-violin-etueden-nr-313999.html?fbclid=IwAR0NImwnNCTika72KZGHBOW-hS3q1MwJjawrlHR0avRhMYG7sz-Ut4hUCDo
July 24, 2020, 9:17 AM · Thanks again. The thumbnail has sufficient resolution to play from, which I'm just about to do
Edited: July 24, 2020, 9:50 AM · James do you also have some background info on that Allegretto in E major? Was it also an arrangement for the grandson?
July 24, 2020, 10:13 AM · I don't I'm afraid. I just listened to James Ehnes and Andrew Armstrong play it via YouTube since your comment. It sounds delightful.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe