Easy Mozart repertoire?

Edited: July 23, 2020, 12:20 PM · Hi.

I'm searching for some easy Mozart repertoire I could look forward to study with my teacher when we restart classes in a couple of months.

I've finished Vivaldi A minor and the Corrente from Corelli Op. 5 No. 7. I'm also being introduced to 4th and 5th positions, which are not being specially hard.

Are Mozart sonatas for violin and piano out of my reach? If not, which are the easier ones to start with?

And finally, what's the typical "Mozart graded repertoire"?

Thank you very much.

Replies (15)

July 23, 2020, 1:31 PM · Depends on your age and experience. I don’t have much Mozart sonata experience but plenty on Mozart concerti. After Vivaldi a minor, I went to the g minor and g major concertos, which were really easy, then my teacher introduced me to Bach concertos, then Haydn, Kabalesky, then Mozart 3 and 4 were next on the list, which are standard repertoire along with Mozart 5 because most conservatories ask for a Mozart concerto.
July 23, 2020, 1:33 PM · Mozart sonata in G Major, K 301, is beautiful and much more accessible than any of the concertos.
July 23, 2020, 3:00 PM · Studying the first violin part of "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" may also be a suggestion. I know I learned a lot from that.
July 23, 2020, 3:26 PM · Miguel,

Personally, I avoid using the words: "easy" and Mozart in the same sentence. Mozart sounds like it should be "easy" but the reality is that his music is best described as "Deceptively Difficult."

Even his 12 variations on "Oh Mother I can Tell You" (a.k.a., "Twinkle") are really hard to play well.

Edited: July 23, 2020, 3:52 PM · Landon: I have some experience with Mozart sonatas at the piano, so at least I know what I want regarding light and clean sound. I played the piano as a kid and a teen (and continue to do so) and I’m a “late violin starter”. I’m still obviously far away from playing concerti (I’ll get there some day!). Thank you for telling me your itinerary after Vivaldi A minor.

Mary Ellen: I’ll listen to that right now, after I finish writing this. I don’t recognize it by name and I’m not sure I know it (I’ve listened to approximately half of his violin sonatas). Thank you!
(Edit a minute later: It’s among the ones I know! Really beautiful one...)

Jean D.: That’s also a good idea I hadn’t thought about. I like that piece. Thank you.

George Wells: Bad wording. I completely understand what you mean. I’ve been playing the piano through all my life (and I’m definitely way better at piano than at violin, although still not good haha), but Mozart is very difficult to play well. It requires skill... and a cleanliness that other composers don’t. Even the “easy” C Major sonata kv 545 is difficult if you want to play it perfectly. Like the 12 variations you mention! But I also know it’s completely worth the effort.

July 23, 2020, 4:10 PM · Not everyone has to play Mozart at the level of a world class soloist, he probably means easy technically.
Edited: July 23, 2020, 4:27 PM · Of course., Xuanyuan. I’m searching for pieces that are technically not too difficult. I can’t play like a world class soloist... yet. Give me some years and you’ll witness the debut of Miguel Pitti at the Scala di Milano... (sigh! Just dreaming).
Edited: July 23, 2020, 5:26 PM · Assuming you have access to a decent pianist - the Paris 1778 Sonatas might be the place to start (Kv301-306). Avoid the temptation to start with the early sonatas, written as a child, they are much harder. I would not describe any Mozart as easy however, but why not have a go.
July 23, 2020, 9:36 PM · Probably the K301 or the K304 sonatas. They're going to be harder than Vivaldi A Minor though. There's a Bb major sonata in there, which is very popular, but I think it's harder still, partly because Bb is not such a violin-friendly key as G major or E minor.

In terms of "graded repertoire," for Mozart that probably starts with the G Major Concerto No. 3, which is well beyond what you're describing as your current level. You should do Haydn G Major Concerto before any of the Mozart concertos.

If you like the classical style then maybe you could also try the Schubert sonatinas Op. 137. Good prep for Mozart also includes the Handel sonatas. They are very lovely to hear and fun to play.

July 23, 2020, 9:56 PM · My first reaction was that there is no easy Mozart. Maybe do Haydn or Boccherini instead. But early Mozart Sonatas or Quartets should be possible. Mozart concertos #1 and 2, are Not easier, but are done much less often.
July 25, 2020, 9:06 AM · Miguel - check out the "Hague" sonatas by Mozart (K. 26-31), six delightful sonatas he wrote while in Holland. They are a perfect stepping stone to later Mozart sonatas and the early Beethoven sonatas.

The D major and F major sonatas in that bunch are particularly alluring.

July 25, 2020, 9:49 AM · I'd add the K304 (I think) E minor sonata which may be of a similar difficulty to G major
July 28, 2020, 11:02 AM · James Woodrow: My only current access to a pianist consists on recording myself playing the piano parts and playing over the recording. Not quite the ideal situation (but the 'fun' of learning both the piano and the violin parts would be the double!). Thank you.

Paul Deck: Thank you for your suggestions outside of Mozart. I know I'm still far from any Mozart concerto. Maybe someday along with some solo Bach...

Joel Quivey: I'll listen to Boccherini. I don't really know much about his works.

Andrew Sords: I'll check them out. Thanks!

Jake Watson: Thank you!

July 28, 2020, 7:47 PM · I don't think Haydn composed much in the way of violin sonatas, if at all. But always worth looking at if it's Haydn are the first violin parts in his many string duos, string trios, and of course quartets. See IMSLP.
July 28, 2020, 8:59 PM · I find K303 to be the most accessible of that set of opera.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe