How to play a live stream on YouTube without noise on the violin sound?

July 22, 2020, 12:01 PM · Hi guys, how're you?
I have a channel on Youtube about violin, music, etc. I usually use a recorder (zoom h1n1) to record audio and a sony's cam to record video. The quality is good for recorded videos.

But in live transmission on my phone, the sound quality is poor, with a lot of noise in high-pitched sounds.
I tried many differents ways to capture the audio: the zoom conected on my phone, the internal mic of my phone, external directional mic, a behringer mic plugged on a mixer and the mixer out plugged on the phone, a lavalier mic, earphones with mic...

In all the ways, the high-pitched notes produce a "hiss" on sound (in the recorded videos/audios no, it's perfect).

I also tried the internet... I have 200 Mbps here, tried too in a friend house and with 4G conection on my phone. Allways the same results.

Do you know some mic or something to capture a better sound on live stream?
(I have a old notebook, so isn't so good to do a live transmission, the webcam is the worst... But the smartphone is good, a Samsung S9)

Thanks for helping!
(and sorry about some mistake on my English haha isn't my native language)

Replies (9)

July 22, 2020, 3:45 PM · Noise is inherent in phone transmission. Access YouTube without the phone.
July 22, 2020, 11:40 PM · I'd plug your webcam into your computer and broadcast from there instead.
July 23, 2020, 4:26 PM · Thank you for answers! I'll provide a webcam and a better computer to do this with more quality
Edited: July 23, 2020, 8:45 PM · You could try OBS Studio. It may work with your current notebook:
obsproject.com

A lot of people are using it for all types of live streaming to various platforms.

Below is a link to youtube describing a method of removing background noise using a Vst plugin with OBS studio.
Remove Background Noise In OBS With VST Plugins

PS. There are also tutorials online for using your phone as a webcam in OBS.

July 23, 2020, 10:04 PM · Some of the "white noise" on the play-back will be the natural noise of the bow+rosin. For recordings, the engineer will fix that by moving the mike farther from the instrument or using the Equalizer to filter out the highest octave (10-20K Hz.)
July 25, 2020, 5:44 AM · Thank you Robert and Joel!
I tried another distance of mic... but in the high notes the noise persists.

I'll look if my phone can be a webcam and use obs on notebook!

Edited: July 25, 2020, 6:59 AM · I'll bookmark this thread and lurk. I've just bought a pair of condenser mics and a preamp where you can turn the air on or off (air means frequencies above about 15k). I was wondering what the point of that was - wouldn't you normally engineer sound later in the chain than the preamp (assuming we're all DDD and post-Dolby)? But I'm not convinced a violin's scratching noise is high enough in frequency to be called air. Moving mics (10') away from the instrument might work, but it will increase room reverb too. I suppose all you can do in the long run is build a recording studio with soft acoustics, or put carpets on your walls, oriental style. I have a copy of Guerrilla Home Recording somewhere, but that book almost exclusively talks about things that are late in the process, and it's more interested in electric instruments than acoustic ones.
July 25, 2020, 2:13 PM · It may be that the phone is using some kind of noise reduction for anything that is not detected as voice. Using Zoom (the video conferencing, not the recording device) I discovered that instruments would be squelched out as it was detecting the sound as background noise. Thankfully Zoom had a way to turn that off. Your phone may not have as many options however.
The other thing that improves such things is to use headphones. A lot of that noise reduction is to stop feedback in certain situations. I'm not sure if the phone has something to detect when headphones are plugged in but if it does then it would consider certain noise suppression unnecessary with them connected.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe