Ways to improve rapid string crossings

July 14, 2020, 6:26 AM · My teacher started teaching me Bach Partitia 1006 Prelude and Sarasate Introduction and Tarantella in parallel
I realized the two pieces are quite similar in that they both require rapid string crossings
Are there any ways to speed up the string crossing?

Replies (8)

July 14, 2020, 7:30 AM · Smaller motions. I could be wrong about this but I have found moving slightly away from the bridge to be helpful.
July 14, 2020, 8:07 AM · I reckon two thirds of our technique lie between the notes.
Slow down and improve the notes with their transitions to perfect them before speeding up short sections.
Edited: July 14, 2020, 8:13 AM · I concur with Raymond. Also use your wrist as much as possible (this is not enough if three strings are involved like in some of the Bach but on two strings you can get away with moving only your wrist)
July 14, 2020, 9:04 AM · You might try experimenting with bow hair tightness and playing by just moving your hand vertically as you rapidly move between the strings. Some bows do this better than others, but just the right relationship between stick flexibility and hair tightness seems to enable it.
July 14, 2020, 9:57 AM · Use much less bow than you’re probably using right now.
July 14, 2020, 12:05 PM · A well-known practice technique is to first practice bowing the two strings together, then just slightly go out of that plane in both directions for a smooth string crossing.
July 14, 2020, 12:51 PM · The advice already given about the wrist is good. I’d just add that it helps to pay attention to the right elbow. Make sure it’s not moving up and down more than is necessary. The arm can significantly slow down string crossings if it’s not moving the right way.
July 15, 2020, 12:53 PM · When doing fast string changes, the elbow is stable. Otherwise you look like big bird trying to take off. One way to negotiate rapid changes of 3 strings, like that Bach Prelude, is to have the elbow anticipate the change, so that it looks like the elbow is moving in the opposite direction of the string change.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe