Viola to Violin

Edited: July 13, 2020, 7:59 PM · I’ve been playing Viola for a few years now, and over the past year I’ve been playing the violin more frequently, before I always dabbled, but was never serious with it. Over the past year I’ve become really close to the instrument, and I finally now realize how much more I like the violin, I plan on switching completely to violin, as I don’t enjoy playing viola anymore. How long do you think it would take me to get skill level of something like Mozart Concertos or Kreisler Praeludium, I have played Some Solo Bach, Telemann, and Casadesus on viola. The last viola pieces I will play(I’ve already started them) before switching will be Hoffmeister and Berlioz Harold in Italy. On Violin I’ve done Vivaldi, Allegro(Fiocco), and Mollenhauer Infant and Boy Paganini, I plan on starting Accolay next. I really wish to be the best Violinist I can be and I will put in any amount of work necessary. Thank you! :)

Replies (4)

Edited: July 14, 2020, 9:08 PM · If/when it's safe, I recommend playing violin parts, especially the first violin parts, in an orchestra, to help ease your transition.
July 14, 2020, 8:23 PM · Thx for the response and definitely I already will be doing violin in school(I played violin last year and was even assistant concertmaster) I also plan on joining a local orchestra this year and depending how how I progress joining my regional orchestra I would normally do the following. It really depends on what the audition solo is it’s most likely going to be Praeludium,Bruch,or Mozart 4. But it’s unlikely I will be at a point where I can play those pieces. :( But I can definitely try!
July 14, 2020, 8:45 PM · I think if you can play a solid Hoffmeister or Harold in Italy Praeludium and Allegro and Mozart Concerto should not be out of reach. Violin and viola are similar enough that the transition shouldn't be that bad, but you'll be doing more virtuosic acrobatics than you would on viola so that'll take some practice.
Edited: July 16, 2020, 2:59 PM · I was thinking about starting Bach A minor or Sicilienne and Rigaudon, would this be an ok and good place to start.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe