How to achieve octave shifted sound with Electric Violin?

July 13, 2020, 3:00 PM · Hi all,

I'm quite new to using the electric violin along with amps, pedals, etc. I've been wondering for a while how to achieve a similar effect to what you hear in this piece from 0:30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RUsJOMK2ms

It sounds like the violin has been pitched down an octave, with a reverb and delay effect. I'm only struggling to replicate the effect to sound as good as it does in the song. I was wondering if anyone more experienced had any suggestions as to how to achieve that specific sound? Any help would be much appreciated.

Replies (7)

July 13, 2020, 3:17 PM · Who knows. His lowest note is A. It could even be a 6-string electric, if it's a violin and not a cello. Or a 5-string viola? You'd want to emulate that? I wouldn't.
July 13, 2020, 4:00 PM · Can't access YouTube from here, but will give this a shot anyway.

I used an Electro-Harmonix Nano Pog pedal as the "cello switch" on my five-string electric violins. Didn't think it sounded anything like a real cello, but it was close enough for covering Spinal Tap.

July 13, 2020, 6:05 PM · That does *not* sound like an octave pedal. But if you want to turn your violin into a violello, such a pedal does exist.
July 13, 2020, 6:48 PM · Electro-Harmonix Pitch Fork is also good. Not what I'm hearing here though.
July 13, 2020, 6:51 PM · Electro-Harmonix Pitch Fork is also good. Not what I'm hearing here though.
July 16, 2020, 2:16 PM · I have the pitch fork. Great pedal.

But on the yt vid it's clearly a kind of electric violin, like Gordon already wrote, a 5 or 6 string or sth.
It's easy to her that it's a piezo pickup, it has that kind of nasal tone that keeps me away from ever using an electric violin...

Edited: July 19, 2020, 6:14 PM · I agree with the others who said it doesn't sound like an octave pedal. You can accomplish a lot with just a little overdrive and spending time with your 10-band equalizer to get a whole variety of sounds. With less than 10-band you will never tame the nasality of the piezo that Tobias is talking about, and even then it's hard.

I got the Boss ME-80, which simulates a lot of that stuff digitally (the EQ is a separate pedal). I bought it because I really wasn't sure what I wanted and I thought I could explore a lot of different sounds. For what I paid (the same as one really good single EHX stomp box), it's a pretty cool device. Christian Howes uses it. Once you know what you want, though, as long as it's really a consistent sound that you want (not a whole litany of effects), then I think you need standard analog pedals. Guitar effects pedals occupy like 30 pages in the Sweetwater catalog, so you can kind of lose your mind on that stuff.

I have a friend who plays bass in a cover band, and for every song he patches the next totally different sound that he has pre-programmed into his multi-effects device. (It's a Fractal -- he loaned it to me for two weeks and I really just couldn't see myself ever using something like that. I like the ME-80 because it has knobs.)

While the ME-80 is a fun toy, honestly I'd really rather spend my violin time on just figuring out how to play better.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe