Violist Skill Level and Praeludium and Allegro

July 11, 2020, 8:34 PM · I'm 13 going on 14 and a Violist, I've been playing for just under 5 years, and I'm currently learning the first movement of the Hoffmeister Viola Concerto, is this a good skill level for some of my age and experience. Also, do you think the viola transcription of Praeludium and allegro would be okay for me to start once I finish Hoffmeister. I've played Telemann G Major, Marchenbilder, and Harold in Italy.

Replies (4)

Edited: July 12, 2020, 1:16 PM · It sounds like you likely have a good number of the skills required by Praeludium and Allegro. The skills that you may be weak on based on the rep listed are shifting up high, double stops and chords, and the bariolage-esque string crossings on the final page.
July 12, 2020, 4:27 PM · I am pretty comfortable with all of the other skills you mentioned because I spent a very long amount of time on the first movements of both the JC Bach and Handel Casadesus concertos.
July 12, 2020, 4:36 PM · It seems like a very strange rep list you have. Harold in Italy Is a very strange thing to learn before hoffmeister. I would honesty listen to your teacher and praeludium and allegro is not a part of the standard viola pedagogical repertoire.
July 12, 2020, 4:57 PM · The only reason I learned Harold in Italy before Hoffmeister was because It was part of an audition requirement, and my teacher wanted me to learn either Hoffmeister or Stamitz as those are some of the biggest staples in viola rep.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe