Rosin Question

July 11, 2020, 4:26 PM · I have some Clarity brand rosin that seems like it has gotten old and hard. I’m not sure that I’m getting enough rosin on the bow. Is there a way to revitalize Clarity rosin? Thanks

Replies (4)

Edited: July 11, 2020, 10:56 PM · You might try gently scoring it with a knife in a "tick-tack-toe" pattern (square grid) to loosen some small particles and give the bow a better grip on the rosin cake.
July 11, 2020, 7:12 PM · Bassists sometimes use a small drop of alcohol on a paper towel in a sealed container with the rosin for a period of time - I’d recommend an hour.
Edited: July 11, 2020, 8:23 PM · The Clarity brand of rosin is a synthetic substance that is not rosin, and I do not believe that it is soluble in alcohol.
The inventor of the substance posted quite often at one point here, so perhaps he will chime in.

https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/317518-synthetic-rosin/#:~:text=The%20acid%20functionality%20of%20rosin%20makes%20it%20soluble,insoluble%20in%20polar%20solvents%20like%20alcohol%20and%20acetone.

July 14, 2020, 9:51 AM · One of the things you can do is scuff up the surface with some sandpaper. Check out my article on rosin at: https://adbowsllc.com/2018/09/25/all-things-rosin/

I discuss the process more in detail and recommend some rosins that might be better than the Clarity for a Hypo-Allergenic option.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe