Ancient music

July 10, 2020, 9:50 PM · This is new to me. I was completely mezmerized. The look of pure joy on the musicians faces at the end says it all.

Replies (5)

July 10, 2020, 9:57 PM · Baroque bows! So cool.
July 11, 2020, 4:34 AM · Very nicely done! Thank you for sharing that link. There are two different modern notation settings as well as a manuscript version online at imslp.org. It looks like a fun piece! Very elaborate performance. Interestingly there are very few figures in the bass. I like how the performers in the video fleshed out the piece.
July 11, 2020, 10:41 AM · I also found her violin hold interesting. No chin or shoulder rest. The violin balanced on her collarbone with her chin well to the right of the tailpiece.
July 11, 2020, 2:02 PM · That was lovely in every way. Thank you!
Edited: July 12, 2020, 6:56 AM · When I play my old violin sans CR and SR having my chin on the right hand side of the tail-piece feels the most natural and comfortable way to hold the instrument. Most of the time my chin is not in contact with the violin, and when it may need to be, such as when descending from a high position, a slight touch of the chin about halfway across the lower treble bout seems to be all that is required.

I've noticed on my old violin, which was made well before Spohr invented the chin rest, that there is slightly more varnish wear on the treble side of the tailpiece than on the bass side. This gives some indication of how it may have been held and played before the advent of the chin rest, and perhaps after.

If the player's chin is to the right of the tail-piece then it will be an effective barrier should the violin start to slide to the right, for whatever reason - it shouldn't normally.

There is less resonance from the treble bout than from the bass bout on the left of the tail piece. This means that if you hold the violin to the left of the tail piece and contact your chin on the bass bout, perhaps to stabilize the violin when shifting, then there will be a noticeable reduction in the bass resonance during that contact.

Overall, for me the CR-less treble bout position is the one that is most comfortable and relaxed, but I am talking about the playing of pre-19th century music. However, when it comes to the music of the early Romantic Period and later, with all its galloping up and down the fingerboard, then it's horses for courses with my modern violin, and the chin rest then certainly earns its keep.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe