GL All leather violin case photos...

Edited: July 10, 2020, 12:30 AM · Here are some very modest photos taken with my I-phone.

>

UCrDLZfPQciRXkGkhGc3Iw

Y9OkJ5IZSRGiMdYO8ghMfA

61533805529__6FB04813-A20C-44CF-8107-30DD2F2100E5

61533800546__91E26818-DDB8-4A42-8E6A-4110E36FB11B

61533797334__DFE216A8-65D9-405D-941D-8FF2372B4A7B

GL Cases Q1(V)

61533803926__2B9F8F0B-EFCA-4300-BDDA-0DCC25C90B77

61533808384__8474A6CE-A5B4-41A9-80E9-5EDA88710882

6F742CB3-F971-499E-B405-7F71295A77C5

I never expected this GL case to be the level of perfection that it is. I knew it would be good, just based on what I was told by a few GL case owners, but this really is something quite special. The only thing I feel would deter some is the one storage space. This was definitely out of the makers I was deciding between last in line in terms of storage. However, for me, I do not carry anything but rosin and a shoulder rest. I keep my music in a separate back which I would still do regardless of which case I ended up with.
This GL case is of very high quality in terms of leathers, stitching, and hardware. The weight? It is not a problem at all. Of course this is my own opinion but I just do not find it to be heavy. It is so balanced in the hand when carrying it, which for me was more of a concern. The one complaint I have is it does not have feet on the underside. I did come with a brown cloth bag to keep the case in for moments you'd rather not advertise its exterior beauty. I've been using this to put underneath the case when opening it up to take the violin and bow out. It also came with a rain bag if you will. A nice added accessory that I was not expecting. As far as a strap, they did not skimp. The case came accompanied by a very well made leather shoulder strap. Again, they did not skimp out on any part of this case.

Replies (20)

July 11, 2020, 4:48 AM · Beautiful pictures! Beautiful case! For that price it better be perfect!

Having dealt with a lot of cases over the years which were held shut with zippers (woodwind cases mostly) one bit of advice I have for you to keep that case working well for many years is to use zipper lubricant occasionally to keep the zipper moving easily, especially around the corners.

Did the case come with any information on how to keep the leather supple and not dried out? If so, be sure to follow that advice regularly. If not, you should investigate how to keep leather in good condition -- carrying that around in sun, hot, cold, dry, humid, widely varying conditions can have harmful effects on the leather if you don't take care of it. That cloth bag may be for more protection than just obscuring what it is you're carrying around. It may be for protecting the leather from harmful UV rays when you're carrying it around outdoors.

Enjoy that case -- it should last you for years and years and years!

July 11, 2020, 9:58 AM · Great pictures of your new case and fun to hear of your happiness with your new purchase. I went with the new Musafia Master case about 15 years ago and have never regretted spending that kind of money for a case and if I break the cost down over the length of time which I have had it it is less than $10 a month yet still is in tip top shape.
July 11, 2020, 1:48 PM · It's a beauty! Leather is such a fantastic material. For such a case, the price doesn't even seem excessive—my first thought was a couple thousand more, at least.
July 11, 2020, 7:29 PM · Jeff, you and Demetrius might inspire me to get one yet.
July 12, 2020, 3:12 AM · GL Cases was founded in 1973 in Taiwan as a maker of luxury suitcaese and briefcases, and it shows. Their violin cases definitely show that heritage.

The reason why they don't have feet on the bottom is because feet will scratch wooden surfaces such as tables, pianos, desks, etc. Almost no one asks for them for this reason.

Enjoy your case! :-)

July 12, 2020, 7:56 AM · Mr.Torgerson, I am surprised to hear that my comment on a expensive Musafia case Would spur you to consider ordering one. Over the years various people here have persuaded me to try different things that I normally would not have and will cite Andrew Victor and his praise for the PI Platinum E string, for one example.

I grew up without much and after 40 years on my own have never had a TV or computer but I do have a fantastic violin, bow, and Musafia case for maximum protection. I also live in a poor neighborhood and give free lessons to several kids a year who otherwise would just be receiving mediocre instruction from the school band teacher.

Edited: July 12, 2020, 11:11 AM · SHAR sells a ZIPPER LUBRICANT that works easily and well. One swipe around outside of the case zipper and the pull moves smoothly - like new again! Apparently they are selling out fast. Mine was delayed about a month after the rest of my order.

https://www.sharmusic.com/Accessories/Case-Accessories-Parts/Zipper-Ease.axd

P.S. https://www.sharmusic.com/Cases-Bags/Violin/GL-Quarter-Circle-Violin-Case-Brown-Leather.axd

One unique option I noticed on this (link above) GL case at SHAR was the curvature of the bow holder spinners to prevent snagging bow hair - I wish I had that on my cases (even Musafia).

July 12, 2020, 3:22 PM · The GL case is very beautiful, it looks like as if it should contain something of great value. It screams 'steal me'!

I have two Musafia cases and love their smart but understated elegance. Non musicians don't even notice them. They do not attract attention. They protect, but do not attract attention from those with mischief in their hearts

July 12, 2020, 5:03 PM · I agree with Matt regarding " the scream".You will have to put a cover over that in the winter and dont get caught in the rain.
July 13, 2020, 12:30 AM · @Andrew: Since 2010 all of my cases have bow spinners with a desigh that doesn't snag bow hair. Email me via our website and I'll send you complimentary replacements!
Edited: July 13, 2020, 4:41 AM · A leather case is a matter of taste. It's not my taste. I'm not sure why, as I love leather briefcases and music folders and so on. (Samsonite were interesting, but I think they went out of business or changed their business model or something. I had a friend who had an excellent aluminium briefcase by Samsonite).
The GL case looks potentially heavy and looks as though it hasn't got a lot of padding inside.

I agree with having cases that look inconspicuous.
6 months ago a guy was in the news for losing a violin worth a quarter of a million. I was worried about muggers for a while. If anyone had asked if my violin was worth a quarter of a million, I'd have replied "if it was, I'd sell it and buy a house"

@Dimitri, I'm guessing your bow spinners should always be rotated clockwise. Are they engineered so that that is the only way they will turn?

July 13, 2020, 7:13 AM · @Gordon, you can turn them either way, no problem.
July 13, 2020, 1:54 PM · Some serious case envy coming from my direction lol.
July 13, 2020, 2:49 PM · The next step is to make Musafia bow spinners into fidget spinners too. Get more kids into violin playing and care!
July 14, 2020, 12:28 AM · ...or at least keep them out of trouble! :-)
Edited: July 14, 2020, 2:00 PM · Hello Demetrius,
Thanks for the info and nice pictures.
I am currently using the GL Combi case (with the Fiberglass shell, and no boxed-in storage area). Which I found to be the ONLY case in the market that can accomodate my Comford Shoulder Cradle. And I am extremely happy with it.
Now, a leather version like yours would be interesting. The question is: are the thermostat and humidistat removable? I probably will need that space for the stretching out of the legs of my Comford Shoulder Cradle.
July 14, 2020, 2:22 PM · Hi Jerry,
I believe the thermostat/humidifer attachment is removable...

Dimitri, I have this case on trial and still assessing once this honeymoon phase has passed. I'm curious, just based on protection of the instrument, which of the two leather cases do you believe to be more protective?The Negri Diplomat or This GL case?

Thank you,
Demetrius

July 15, 2020, 12:42 AM · Demetrius, I'm afraid I can't answer that question without subjecting both cases to our SATRAVI testing procedure and seeing what happens.
July 15, 2020, 10:43 AM · A sister of a friend of mine sold her violin through one of the major London dealers (now defunct). It was in a crocodile skin case, which she asked them to return to her. They never did. Who has that case, I don't know. If it's the purchaser of the violin, they weren't welcome, but at ieast one can't accuse them of dishonesty. If it's someone else, bad show. Crocodile skin, however IS heavy
July 15, 2020, 11:21 AM · Well, you know what to do when you board a train or even a taxi. You put this beautiful case well out of sight and forget all about it when you leave...

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe