Quit your whining and eat your standard repertoire!

July 9, 2020, 9:41 PM · In loose response to the thread about least-favourite concertos...

What artist or genre do you enjoy that would seem "unusual" for a classical music type?

I can't get enough of Pink Floyd personally.

Replies (48)

July 9, 2020, 10:33 PM · Queen

Edited: July 9, 2020, 11:32 PM · I listen to a lot of rap, but the weirdest? I'm not a super big metalhead, but I have a soft spot for GWAR - They crack me up.

Oh, and reggaeton was a huge part of my study abroad days.

July 9, 2020, 11:50 PM · Marvin Gaye, The Temptations, Four Tops, Stevie Wonder, Frank Sinatra, and Aerosmith to name a few.
July 10, 2020, 1:15 AM · Frank Sinatra for phrasing, the Fall for repetition, repetition but never exactly the same
July 10, 2020, 1:32 AM · Vulfpeck
July 10, 2020, 2:22 AM · Nah fam... I don’t whine about repertoire.
July 10, 2020, 3:31 AM · Well, what seems to surprise people the most about me is that I basically never listen to music in my free time, except for professional reasons or when I visit concerts.
I love my favorite radio station where they talk, all the time.

July 10, 2020, 4:31 AM · Icelandic reggae and Norwegian folk music are my regular listen tos!
July 10, 2020, 4:53 AM · Another vote for Queen! A Night at the Opera is the only rock LP I have ever bought..

I also spent the 80's playing contemporary Argentine tangos here in France with Argentinian expats, as well as in the dance band under the famous Coupole brasserie. Sight-reading into a microphone!

But both Queen and tangos have coherent harmony, which I have always appreciated since my English Hymnal days.

Edited: July 10, 2020, 5:37 AM · Easier to list what I haven't listened to.

On the whole, I don't bother with metal, but I do still possess a copy of Iowa by Slipknot.
I don't do country and western, but I have lots of k. d. lang and western swing.
I haven't done prog rock since I was a teenager.
I like breakbeats.
I like anything Caribbean.
Dirty Dozen Brass Band.
Sun Ra.
Tim Buckley.
Captain Beefheart.
Tom Waits
Rolling Stones

Astor Piazzolla. I was given a compilation cassette in the 80s when I had an Argentinian gf, but it wore out. I've been trying to recreate it digitally, but I'm missing one track. I should get back to work looking for it.

Icelandic reggae?
Pass the kiviaq pon the left hand side!
I grew bored with Bjork, but I still listen to Emiliana Torrini.

July 10, 2020, 8:16 AM · rap / hip hop
Edited: July 10, 2020, 9:04 AM · Celine Dion, Patti LaBelle, Sinatra, Barry Manilow, ABBA, the Beach Boys. I like Paul McCartney's solo stuff.
July 10, 2020, 9:09 AM · Edith Piaf.
July 10, 2020, 9:21 AM · I wonder if anyone on this forum would enjoy Jacob Collier
July 10, 2020, 9:27 AM · If they haven't heard Jacob Collier then they are in for a treat!
July 10, 2020, 9:36 AM · I am allergic to Jacob Collier.
July 10, 2020, 10:09 AM · Bon Jovi, P!nk, Rolling Stones, Fall Out Boy, Adele, Queen to name a few. People are always surprised when they look through my music on my phone aha
Edited: July 10, 2020, 10:10 AM · Showing my age?
Jethro Tull
Early incarnations of Fairport Convention
Richard (and Linda) Thompson
Silly Wizard (long defunct Scottish folk band)
Loreena McKennitt
Mike Oldfield
ABBA
July 10, 2020, 10:43 AM · And of course

Peter Gabriel
Toto
Genesis
Spandau Ballet

Edited: July 10, 2020, 11:32 AM · I’ve observed through the years that the day before a migraine hits I have a strange and special need for listening to electronic music. The stronger the migraine, the more bassy, harder and simplistic music I need.

In normal conditions, I’ve always enjoyed the songs of Michael Jackson besides classical music.

Edited: July 10, 2020, 11:51 AM · Oh, Michael Jackson's a good one. I listened to his music waay before I ever took an interest in classical.

Gordon, that's pretty much what I expected, lol. But he does have a couple that are less overbearing—like In My Room, which is more subtle than a lot of his other works.

July 10, 2020, 12:04 PM · @Nate Robinson; nice list! My son got me into Stevie Wonder. What a genius. He, my son, plays bass, and just about has the baseline to Sir Duke down. Incredible.

My band wants to do a cover of Heard it Through the Grapevine, so I've been listening to Marvin Gaye's version. Another genius! Such amazing control and pitch.

July 10, 2020, 12:11 PM · Carlos Gardel and Nat King Cole.
July 10, 2020, 1:10 PM · I actually like virtuoso composers, Ysaye, Wieniawski, Paganini, Vieuxtemps and the rest.
July 10, 2020, 1:36 PM · Cannibal Corpse
July 10, 2020, 3:14 PM · I read everyone else’s posts and realized that I don’t know anything else but classical...
July 10, 2020, 4:05 PM · Ella, Ella, Ella!!! (Fitzgerald that is)
Best American Songbooks. A singer's singer.
July 10, 2020, 4:14 PM · Is that the French song that my class listened to in French class?
July 10, 2020, 4:45 PM · Xuanyuan: Jeff is talking about Ella Fitzgerald, who was a jazz singer. The French song you say says “Ella elle l’a” (in which Ella refers to... guess? Ella Fitzgerald!)
Edited: July 10, 2020, 4:54 PM · Xuanyuan, so do I. I feel like everyone who says virtuoso pieces are "musically vapid" are really super snobs. What the heck does "musically vapid" even mean? Does every piece have to be a dreadful, never-ending Wagner opera to have musical depth? Is it invalid for a piece to exist just for the sake of dumb fun? If so, we'd better start throwing out the majority of all the music ever written.

Virtuoso composers used the same forms as everyone else at the time, only embellished with their technical fireworks.

July 10, 2020, 7:45 PM · Oh, thanks Miguel. I’m embarrassed for not knowing lol.
July 10, 2020, 8:57 PM · Sarah Vaughan, "After Hours" exemplary singing.

But who am I kidding? I also just listened to a singer who (I think) was described as an "out of tune Brazilian crooner" in an audio rag some time ago (but who has improved since, I swear), accompanied by a band with a funk that wouldn't be out of place in a tourist hot spot/dive/what's the difference, or on a cruise. And that line of thought takes me to wanting to go on a cruise though I would never have considered it before.

July 11, 2020, 12:26 AM · Christmas music.

I have no idea why but my daughter plays Christmas songs all year long.

July 11, 2020, 2:28 AM · In response to the title of this thread:

"How come you're always such a fussy young man
Don't want no Cap'n Crunch, don't want no Raisin Bran
Well don't you know that other kids are starvin' in Japan
So eat it, just eat it

"Don't want to argue, I don't want to debate
Don't want to hear about what kinds of foods you hate
You won't get no dessert 'till you clean off your plate
So eat it

"Don't you tell me you're full
Just eat it, eat it
Get yourself an egg and beat it

"Have some more chicken
Have some more pie
It doesn't matter
If it's boiled or fried
Just eat it, just eat it
Just eat it, just eat it, Woo!

"Your table manners are a crying shame
You're playing with your food, this ain't some kind of game
Now, if you starve to death
You'll just have yourself to blame
So eat it. Just eat it."

July 11, 2020, 4:04 AM · Nothing wrong with soul and funk. (especially P-Funk)
July 11, 2020, 9:54 AM · Hootie & the Blowfish
Smash Mouth

and then because I have kids:

All the Frozen 1 and 2 songs
All the Aladdin live movie songs

July 11, 2020, 10:22 AM · Mostly jazz. I love the piano trio channel on jazzradio.com. I also enjoy Joey Defrancesco. There's a guy with a few too many albums though.

Oh, and ZZ Top, of course. And in the car I can tolerate top-40.

July 11, 2020, 10:40 AM · Supertramp
July 11, 2020, 7:09 PM ·
Jimi
Edited: July 11, 2020, 7:27 PM · Bebop. Raised on classical music, listened to progressive rock as a teen (Yes, Rush more than Pink Floyd, ELP, etc.), then fusion (70s Miles Davis and Tony Williams, Allan Holdsworth, John McLaughlin, etc.), then took a step back 30 years or so.
July 11, 2020, 8:01 PM · I am finally a violin cool kid.
Edited: July 12, 2020, 6:44 AM · See Xuanyuan? You learned something new. Now, go listen some songs by Ella Fitzgerald... and learn some more French. Both things are completely worth it. And by the way, French rap is also great for learning the language, and quite entertaining. Musically, it’s not the same as Paganini... but still cool (I would have never thought I would like that, but I ended up enjoying it very much when I was at high school. And learning much French).
July 12, 2020, 6:53 AM · Some fine violin playing and French jazz chanteuse coming from the Avalon Jazz Band. They're very much on YouTube.
July 13, 2020, 4:24 PM · I like pretty much all of the above, except for rap/hip-hop.

I still dig out the old progressive rock albums from time to time. I'm listening to a lot of 10cc these days. They're a remarkable band - delightfully flippant and they can turn on a dime, much like Frank Zappa with or without the Mothers of Invention.

Carrying on with Weird Al:

You'd better listen, better do what you're told.
You haven't even touched your tuna casserole. (Gasp!)
You'd better chow down or it's gonna get cold
So eat it. I don't care if you're full.

Just eat it, eat it.
If it's gettin' cold, reheat it.
Have a big dinner, have a light snack.
If you don't like it you can't send it back.

July 13, 2020, 8:50 PM · There are a lot of songs that I really only know the Weird Al lyrics to.

He's basically the North American Astor Piazzolla.

Edited: July 14, 2020, 7:00 AM · Weird Al is one of a very few really skilled parodists working currently in popular music. In fact the only other one I can think of off hand who even comes close to being on the same level is Bob Rivers, who isn't nearly as prolific. One could also make the case that Yankovic's originals are even better than his parodies.

I find it amusing that Nirvana only granted permission for Weird Al to parody one of their songs on the condition that it not be about food.

July 14, 2020, 7:06 AM · Otoh, I've found Weird Al's parodies can sometimes rely too much on the visuals.
July 14, 2020, 9:55 AM · Weird Al is probably the only guy who is my age and still cool :-)

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe