Paganini Contradanze Inglesi

July 4, 2020, 10:59 AM · This afternoon I recorded what must be one of very few recordings of Paganini's Contradanze Inglesi. I chose a selection of the dances, rather than the complete set, and I think they work really well as a short solo violin piece. Surprising they are not better known.

Replies (4)

Edited: July 4, 2020, 12:39 PM · Love it! We should be hearing and playing a lot more of this kind of Paganini's output.

[Edit added] Do you have opus or MS numbers for these pieces? Where can they be sourced, since they don't appear to be on IMSLP? Incidentally, IMSLP doesn't appear to have Opus 2 and 3, or the Lucca sonatas, either. These are all melodic pieces – slow movements often being reminiscent of Italian opera – and are generally technically within the grasp of most violinists. Paganini composed most of the Luccas for his high-born lady pupils in the Court of Lucca where he was music maestro for a few years.

Edited: July 4, 2020, 12:45 PM · Hi. I don't know very much about these pieces, and perhaps there is a member of this website who knows their Paganini works? No opus number - and doesn't even appear on some full list of works. They are at the back of the Barenreiter Paganini Caprices edition as a little appendix. (Much more enjoyable to play than the caprices from a personal point of view!). I have no idea if I'm the first person to record it - I heard them in a livestreamed concert by Fenella Humphreys about two weeks ago and thought I'd give them a try.
July 4, 2020, 1:39 PM · Paganini had a son in 1825, so if he wrote them for him, he would have written them quite late in life, some 10 years at least after the Caprices.
July 5, 2020, 10:28 AM · I'm not convinced the fact that it is simple music makes it likely it was written for his son. There is a lot of solo violin dance music from the early romantic era - the Schubert solo violin Landler are a case in point.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Watch Gilharmonic on Violinist.com
Watch Gilharmonic on Violinist.com

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe