Which way is up (or down)?

July 3, 2020, 8:18 AM · As I am progressing in my abilities, I am attempting more advanced pieces. One of the things I have encountered confuses me. When two pairs of slurred notes are written with a longer slur connecting the four, should the bow direction change after the first pair or are all four played with the same stroke?

Replies (13)

July 3, 2020, 9:15 AM · The long slur will be gently broken in the middle.
July 3, 2020, 1:53 PM · Got it. Thanks Adrian.
July 3, 2020, 2:49 PM · Congrats on advancing!
July 4, 2020, 5:30 AM · I think in those situations that the idea behind the longer slur is to have both pairs played on the same bow stroke, with a break between the two slurs so they are heard as separate slurs.
July 4, 2020, 7:58 AM · I understand now. Thanks for you responses.
July 4, 2020, 10:47 AM · Most composers are pianists. The piano slur is a phrasing notation while the violin slur is a more specific mechanical marking. Every soloist and every concertmaster will revise the printed slurs marks. My favorite example of that is the introduction of the Brahms 1st symphony. If you combine the slurs and ties, it looks like Brahms wants you to do the entire intro on one bow (!)
July 4, 2020, 7:51 PM · Should I take this to mean Boeing’s are a suggestion? Unless of course one Is playing in a a group.
July 4, 2020, 8:05 PM · Bowings should not be taken only as a suggestion, slurs at least mean those notes have to be played legato.
July 4, 2020, 8:10 PM · I thought you meant boeing as in the plane company lol.
July 5, 2020, 6:33 PM · Slurs as marked by the composer indicate legato and are expressive, not actual Bowings. Bowings are what string players choose to do In order to adequately achieve these expressive markings.
July 5, 2020, 6:44 PM · To expand on my last post, in the Bruch VC no 1 there are chords that are all played downbow, if you don’t you can’t make the same detached effect that all downbows make. So don’t ignore bowings when they are integral to the music.
July 6, 2020, 7:33 AM · Mark and Liu, you have helped to clarify this point. Thanks.
PS. Auto text (and inadequate proofreading) chose Boeing in my previous post.
July 9, 2020, 4:45 PM · Oh, when you said "Boeing" I thought you were referring to an abrupt and unexpected downbow.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe