James Ehnes Bach/Ysaye recitals from home

July 2, 2020, 12:04 PM · I may be breaking some forum etiquette about promotion, but what the hey-

https://www.jamesehnes.com/recitalsfromhome

James Ehnes is releasing a set of 6 video recitals, moving through 1 Bach Sonata/Partita and 1 Ysaye sonata, and I haven't seen them promoted anywhere except on his personal twitter account (at least not on any of the mainstream news sites like classical fm or npr classical).

They aren't cheap at $20 a pop, at least not for the set of 6, but while I'm sure there are some management hijinks going on behind-the-scenes, it's an interesting concept to have an artist make high quality recordings on their own dime and choosing their own repertoire.

So go spend your Trump stimulus money on the arts and watch them so people make more videos like this one. If you pay him enough maybe he'll do a Prokofiev Solo Sonata bonus recording. Ehnes has been a Bach guy as far back as I've been alive and it's pretty rare for one of the "big name" solo violinists to make a recorded set of all 6.

Replies (8)

July 2, 2020, 8:18 PM · Thank you for sharing. We may have to splurge on this.
July 2, 2020, 8:59 PM · Imagine James T is actually James Ehnes lmao. Like how Heifetz was Jim Hoyle or something.
July 2, 2020, 9:15 PM · Hi everyone, this is James Ehnes (I'm not James T, haha!). Thanks, James T, for posting this. No management hijinks, this is just me trying to find a path forward in these very strange times, not just for myself but potentially for any musician who wants to sell their product directly to their audience. I have assumed all financial risk on my own - no outside sponsorship, no label, no philanthropy. It's kind of a matter of principal, to see if this can actually be a sustainable business plan. Depending on how they are received, I may indeed do more of this sort of thing in the coming months, since the concert world is going to be disrupted for quite some time.
You can read about it and see trailers at www.jamesehnes.com/recitalsfromhome
Each episode is $10 to rent, $20 to purchase.
I do hope you'll check them out!
July 3, 2020, 1:15 AM · OMG IT'S JAMES EHNES
July 3, 2020, 1:25 AM · My birthday is coming up soon, this would make for a birthday gift! Where would people redeem the codes that get sent to the purchaser?
July 3, 2020, 3:07 AM · Xuanyuan, I did not receive any codes. You can go to your account and choose "purchases" or follow the "watch now" link in the email confirmation.

"Purchased episodes will be available on Vimeo until the end of 2020, at which point purchasers will receive a code to download the episodes to their own devices."

So no codes for downloading for awhile.

I hope this helps.

Edited: July 4, 2020, 5:18 AM · Thank you Mr. T for posting this.

Although the video is only recorded with an I phone, the audio uses top notch mics.

There can never be enough performances of this music, especially by virtuosi such as Mr. Ehnes. The interpretation, at this time, is very important.

July 11, 2020, 12:37 AM · OMG here too James Ehnes!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe