Ida Haendel

Edited: July 1, 2020, 6:11 PM · Sadly, today Ida Haendel passed away. Here is her obituary in The Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jul/01/ida-haendel-obituary

Replies (10)

July 1, 2020, 6:23 PM · I am deeply sorry-remebering her Kreisler-Tartini Devil's trill, which may have been the first recording of her I ever heard as a young person. (I know not how to "direct link"):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F76jzEa7-3k

Lived quite a long and influential life. Does not make it any less sad.

July 1, 2020, 8:10 PM · What a sad loss. She was a Titan of the violin.
July 1, 2020, 9:15 PM · A big loss, thanks for the update. Yes her Devil's Trill is one of my favorites.
July 1, 2020, 9:34 PM · Ida Haendel was more than just a great violinist and sublime artist, she was a beautiful person. I ran into her several times in Miami and she always had a lovely smile and a kind word for everyone. I was always in awe of her and adored her full-bodied, golden age style of violin playing. Though she is now gone to a better place, her recordings will continue to inspire us and her memory will live on in our hearts always.
July 1, 2020, 10:44 PM · This is one of my favorites little gems of hers:

July 2, 2020, 3:52 AM · A huge loss to the violin world. I saw her do a masterclass at the RCM and was an inspiration. One student played Tzigane...it was good, but a few short minutes with Ida Haendel made it great.
July 2, 2020, 5:29 AM · I am very sad hearing this news ......
July 2, 2020, 7:42 AM · Sad to hear this.... She was the only 20th century 'great' to visit Edinburgh with any regularity when I was there. So I heard her several times. Always memorable, especially her Beethoven and Sibelius.
July 2, 2020, 2:05 PM · This so upsetting omg. The world has lost a true treasure
July 2, 2020, 7:25 PM · I was able to see her live at least once with the Boston Symphony. Simon Rattle must have known how special she was, and made the effort to add her to the programs. A wonderful Sibelius Concerto, IIRC.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Watch Gilharmonic on Violinist.com
Watch Gilharmonic on Violinist.com

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe