A violin joke for today

July 1, 2020, 12:14 PM · Some time ago I signed up to receive daily jokes from jokestop.net. Today's joke just arrived and I feel a need to share it here:

Violin Practice

Little Hope was practicing the violin in the living room while her father was trying to read in the den.

The family dog was lying in the den, and as the screeching sounds of little Hope’s violin reached his ears, he began to howl loudly.

The father listened to the dog and the violin as long as he could. Then he jumped up and yelled above the noise, “Can’t you play something the dog doesn’t know?!”

Replies (21)

July 1, 2020, 1:25 PM · That got a laugh out of me! Thanks for sharing that.
July 1, 2020, 1:46 PM · Thanks Andrew! That is a good one.
Edited: July 2, 2020, 1:57 AM · Funny one!!

You reminded me of another. I’ll try to translate it, hoping that it doesn’t lose its fun:

A father makes his little son play the violin in front of a visit. When the child finishes, the father proudly asks:

- Well, what do you think about his execution?

And the visitor answers:

- Maybe executing him is an exaggeration, but at least I would slap him twice!

July 1, 2020, 3:25 PM · Andrew and Miguel, I just inhaled my tea while reading these. Thanks for the chuckle!
July 2, 2020, 4:56 AM · Andy's joke reminds me of when I was a kid and practiced our dog always followed me into 5h3 living room during practice almost as if he enjoyed the noise, he also did this when my sister practiced her flute.
July 2, 2020, 9:11 AM · LOL
July 2, 2020, 9:22 AM · My other half told me not to practise the guitar, as it would annoy the dog, but I noticed that when I played, he would prick his ears and tilt his head slightly and watch me avidly. Meanwhile the cat thinks "I could do better if I had any interest at all in what you are doing."
July 7, 2020, 2:09 PM · What do you call a violinist who has become tired of playing the violin?....(ready now!).......finger bored.
July 8, 2020, 1:19 PM · One thing violinists and baseball players have in common is a focus on perfect pitch.
July 9, 2020, 10:21 AM · In this era of social distancing, many of my good friends have told me that I need to stay 6 feet apart from my violin.
July 9, 2020, 11:46 AM · I've been told I have fingers like lightning....they never hit the same spot twice.
July 10, 2020, 5:46 AM · My dog's favorite Bach Cantata is Wachet Arf. It has given him a whole new leash on life.
July 11, 2020, 2:51 PM · Violinist (to bartender): "Can you serve me a Bazzini martini?"
Bartender: "I thought you were a fiddler on vermouth?"
July 12, 2020, 7:27 AM · Old King Cole
Was a merry old soul,
And a merry old soul was he;
He called for his pipe,
And he called for his bowl,
And he called for Bach to compose a triple concerto for his fiddlers three.
July 12, 2020, 8:32 PM · Everyone on the bus thinks I'm mad now, for giggling at my phone!

Loving the pet reactions, especially, so thought I'd share.

Puss 1 hates anything other than the piano - she likes to wonder repeatly across the mid bass keys when shes bored)

Puss 2 hates my violin with a deadly passion, cause because that was her shoulder and isn't above jumping up onto my right shoulder to batt it out if the way! However she often curls up between my feet and the endpin, so I gather she likes the cello. Maybe a bass theme here floor cats?

Also, Sander made me think of a friends cockatiel who used to re-compose random phrases from bach's double. Apparently he used to whistle most of it straight back when her daughter was learning it.

July 13, 2020, 4:07 PM · When cats stopped reacting with hostility to my taking out the violin, I knew I was making progress.

Then it occurred to me that the cats might simply be getting used to it.

Edited: July 17, 2020, 6:51 AM · If you play the violin, the best breed of dog to have is the orchestra pit bull.

Anish: Sounds like you may have Bach double trouble.

Edited: July 21, 2020, 1:29 PM · The Paganini Caprices.....They're finger quick'n good.
July 25, 2020, 8:10 AM · Updated social distancing guidelines for violinists:
Stay 6 notes apart from the notes written on the page.
July 25, 2020, 10:28 AM · Left or right?
Edited: July 26, 2020, 5:16 PM · @Andrew. Left or right? In an ensemble it may depend on whether the violinist is the inside or outside player in their desk. For a player on their own, then it could depend on their political persuasion :)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Watch Gilharmonic on Violinist.com
Watch Gilharmonic on Violinist.com

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe