Kreisler Sicillienne and Rigaudon

June 28, 2020, 9:24 AM · Does anyone know if a recording of S&R performed by Kreisler exists, and if so, where I could find it? My teacher has strong (negative) feelings about Barbara Barber's edits (mostly in the Sicillienne) and it'd be nice to hear what Kreisler intended.

Replies (8)

June 28, 2020, 9:29 AM · I don't know of any and a quick check of youtube doesn't reveal one, but I would suggest listening to older performances by violinists who were contemporaneous with Kreisler--Mischa Elman comes immediately to mind.
Edited: June 28, 2020, 9:54 AM · We use the Barbara Barber books, but I agree that sometimes the edits are problematic. I highly recommend purchasing the The Fritz Kreisler Collection series -- these are edited very close to the original recordings. S and R is in the first volume.

There is a Heifetz recording: https://youtu.be/e5nfNTO8rfo

Edited to add: this video has 4 old performances - Elman, Heifetz, Szigeti, and Menuhin: https://youtu.be/6gbCn5CrchE

Edited: June 28, 2020, 11:33 AM · Thank you Mary Ellen and Susan! I will check out Elman and the Heifetz and Szigeti. I've heard a Menuhin recording and liked it a lot. I am not sure if it is the same one or not.
Edited: June 28, 2020, 12:02 PM · My recollection is that there isn't; I agree with Mary Ellen's recommendations, and would add Alfred Campoli to the list of recommended violinists of the time.

I strongly second Susan's recommendation to work from the Fritz Kreisler Collection edition (Eric Wen edited; published by Carl Fischer). The first volume of that collection is something every violinist should own.

June 28, 2020, 12:10 PM · I don't think so. I was going to point to the youtube link Susan shared. Between them you will get some great interpretations.
June 29, 2020, 3:44 AM · I have a box-set of the complete Kriesler recordings with one publishing house, and this doesn't appear in it. About fiften versions of The Old Refrain, but not the Sicilienne and Rigaudoun...
June 29, 2020, 8:51 AM · Thanks everyone! I ordered the Collection published by Carl Fischer. Sounds like further search for a Kreisler recording is futile.
July 3, 2020, 8:41 PM · Kreisler may have used this piece to warm up during the first few minutes of his recitals. He hated to practice. My last and late teacher, Prof. Hendrik de Blij, who saw him in concert numerous times, said that his playing was spotty at the beginning, but it would improve as the recital unfolded. When he was fully warmed up, he was the greatest violin artist of his time. Even the great Jascha Heifetz adored him. Kreisler’s inimitable artistry and music is timeless and evergreen.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe