My Introduction

June 25, 2020, 8:54 AM · Hi

I'm not a violin player, but mainly a composer. I have LLCM and an hon doctorate in music. I love strings and string writing, and am always looking of ways to improve and learn from string players. My background is in video games music, and playing live gigs, although I don't play very much these days. I still spend a lot of time studying orchestral scores, and reading about music theory. I create my orchestral scores with Sibelius,and would say that I know the program very well.

This is a piece I wrote during lockdown.

https://soundcloud.com/user-533729915/alternate-reality

I hope you don't mind me posting questions from a non player.

thanks!

Rob

Replies (4)

June 25, 2020, 11:00 AM · Welcome Rob! I dig it. Your piece is obviously its own thing, but I'm hearing something in the realm of Prokofiev, Elfman, Shostakovich and Kabalevsky
June 25, 2020, 3:44 PM · Welcome Rob,

Interesting piece. I hear a wall-of-sound with internal modulations and a broad dynamic range. In some ways similar to the writing of Paul Carr.

FWIW: I do like Carr's "Air for Strings" although I doubt that it will ever be a concert success. My local chamber orchestra passed on performing it even though I was offering to fund the copyright fees for a performance. They feared offending their subscribers and donors.

It is pleasant but does not communicate any emotional expression to me.

I'm curious. Was that your intention, or did I miss what you were attempting to communicate?

Then again, I'm a "geezer" (over 70) who is steeped in the traditional forms.

June 25, 2020, 4:46 PM · I liked it, good job.
June 26, 2020, 2:31 PM · thanks for the replies. I've never heard of Kabalevsky, but do love Prokofiev and Shostakovich.

regarding the emotional expression - the piece was scored with Sibelius and rendered directly from the score using the noteperformer plugin, which for orchestral stuff is fantastic. If the piece was rehearsed properly and played by a pro string orchestra it would be quite different. I really didn't have anything much in mind when I did it. It was a little quirky idea, and I just ran with it, all during the week of lockdown.

Rob

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe