Schradieck No. 4

June 25, 2020, 8:23 AM · Hello,

I have a questions about Schradieck's School of Violin Technics, exercise four. This exercise trains string crossings and asks us to use the wrist only. However, I am only able to use the wrist at the bottom half of the bow, and then I have to switch to using my arm because I cannot seem to move my wrist. How should I fix this?

Thank you!

Replies (10)

Edited: June 25, 2020, 10:51 AM · Repeated, fast string changes are best done in the middle of the bow, at the balance point. At the frog is clumsy. At the tip requires too much motion. For "backwards" string changes [down-bow of the upper string, up-bow on the lower string], be a little below the balance point, so that the weight of the upper half helps pull the bow over to the lower string.
? Is your fourth finger straight, locking up the hand ?
June 25, 2020, 1:58 PM · Something is probably problematic with the way that your right arm is set up. You should be able to use your wrist for string crossings, and your wrist in general should feel quite relaxed and loose.

To develop flexibility in the wrist, one of my teachers recommended beating an egg using a traditional egg-beater. This works pretty well, in my opinion. Crack two eggs into a moderate-depth plastic bowl. Add a bit of heavy cream, salt and pepper, and other spices to taste. Beat the eggs thoroughly and rapidly with the egg beater in your right hand, using a circular wrist motion, until cream and spicing is thoroughly incorporated and the eggs are a uniform consistency. Cook the eggs in a skillet when done.

Edited: June 25, 2020, 2:11 PM · Fiddler's favorite recipe episode 26: Lydia Leong's String-Crossing Omelette?
June 25, 2020, 2:18 PM · Already looking forward to breakfast tomorrow :-)
June 25, 2020, 2:24 PM · Hi Samwise, eh, Samwit :-) indeed this exercise can be done mainly with the wrist only. Do some kind of "bye bye" waving motion with the wrist mainly as if foolishly waving to a little child. Don't worry if your arm is moving a little bit along with it. After all everything should be supple so everything connected will move along. It needs practice so just keep practicing!
June 25, 2020, 3:26 PM · Woah, looks like the drugs are kicking in!

This is a pretty good tutorial. It doesn't look like a huge motion, but as you are getting used to it, you may need to exaggerate the "door-knocking" motion to really get a feel for it. You also don't need to use the very very tip of the bow.

June 25, 2020, 4:00 PM · TWIST IT LIKE A STIR FRY
June 25, 2020, 5:46 PM · I would think of it more as a doorknob-turning rotational motion rather than a door-knocking or waving motion.
June 25, 2020, 7:27 PM · Every time I see someone demonstrating this, and they say, "It's just a hand motion, no arm," as soon as they start playing there's always SOME involvement of their arm.
June 26, 2020, 10:01 AM · The question is always where the action is initiated from and not the totality of the muscles involved. Recommended book: "What Every Violinist Should Know About the Body".

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe