Bow Hand work

Edited: June 23, 2020, 3:26 PM · Someone mentioned a few months ago of using Wohlfahrt for right hand bow work, all at the frog. In my 37 years of playing, this was the first I've heard that but it intrigued me so much, I dug out my old books. So with that said, WHICH Wohlfahrt? Anyone else heard this or have suggestions?

I've needing to undo bad habits and relearn some things in regards to bowing and even holding my bow.

Replies (8)

June 23, 2020, 5:17 PM · I would go with Kreutzer if you're looking for an etude book for core right-hand technique work.

Edited: June 23, 2020, 8:22 PM · For sure, the Kreutzer is always near the stand at all times!
June 23, 2020, 8:36 PM · I remember that when I was doing some remediation work at the frog, my teacher assigned a bunch of the triple-stop etudes from Dont op. 35, some of the string-crossing etudes out of Rode, and the third movement of the Tchaikovsky. All good workouts.
June 23, 2020, 8:56 PM · Thank you Lydia, I'll dig those out and take a peek. I greatly appreciate the suggestions :)
June 23, 2020, 9:59 PM · It really depends on what you are looking to correct.

If it's a question of bow hold generically, you might find doing long slow bows on open strings to be helpful in asking your hand to relax.

If it's a question of bow hold and a tense pinky or something that keeps from smooth bow changes at the frog, you might work some of the legato / string crossing etudes in either Dont 37, Kreutzer, or Rode, or maybe something like Wohlfahrt would be a really simple place to work that out.

I don't really have much to say regarding the Wohlfahrt, but maybe specifying the exact issues you are having would yield more helpful suggestions.

June 24, 2020, 12:10 AM · My favorite bowing book is Sevcik, 40 variations.
For string changes, Irish and Scottish fiddle tunes will be a lot more fun than reviewing old etudes.
June 24, 2020, 12:25 AM · One of my former teachers also used Irish fiddle tunes to let me practice at the frog. Started with the simple bowings: 2 notes slurred en two notes not slurred. that makes: two notes playing at the tip, slur to the frog, two notes at the frog, slur to the tip, etc. And then make sure the bowings at the frog are as smoothly at the frog as at the tip. Than build it up to more notes and vary with speed.
But I don't know what you want te practice. I think you can use a lot of pieces for bowings at the frog, like bach or vivaldi.
June 24, 2020, 11:21 AM · Thank you everyone! These are great suggestions!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe