Violin Case D-Rings

Edited: June 23, 2020, 2:26 PM · I'm curious on how standard it is for violin cases to have 5 d-rings for shoulder straps. I don't normally use my straps but am right now to make it possible to get violin, stand, and music to our rehearsal room. (There are only 6 of us and we are masked and distanced - no stand partners)

My case only has 4 rings and the only way I can use the backpack straps has my violin upside down. I don't like that but I'm sure it doesn't matter as it's strapped in. Just curious if this is a standard. I've toyed with the idea to try and add one but I don't want to take that risk on a case I like...

Replies (2)

June 23, 2020, 2:32 PM · My single cases have 4 D rings, my double violin case has 6, my violin/mandolin case has only 4 D rings.

My single cases with the 4 D rings are supposed to use 3 for the backpack straps. These cases are designed for the single D-ring to be behind your neck when you use it as a backpack. However I find it's way too uncomfortable that way, so I put the straps on so that single D-ring is in the middle of my back and the wider end is what goes over my shoulders. That make my violin be upside down. Not a big deal since they're suspension cases and there's no weight on the neck when the violins are strapped in.

Usually though I don't use the backpack straps at all, preferring the single shoulder strap. I can still carry my music stand and a bag with music while using the single shoulder strap.

June 23, 2020, 2:38 PM · Ahhh, I see. I thought the wider part was supposed to be on my shoulders, no matter, it is a suspension case. I've had major neck/shoulder surgeries, I just don't use shoulder straps if at all possible. Thanks!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe