Best prokofiev and bartok editions

June 16, 2020, 2:03 PM · Hi everyone! :)

My teacher suggested some 20th century repertoire to round out my degree. Specifically Bartok 2, Prokofiev 1 and 2.

Does anyone have any suggestions om solid editions they use? He hasn't dived into these pieces extensively, so he couldn't recommend one in particular.

Thanks in advance!

Replies (8)

June 16, 2020, 3:55 PM · I like the International for Prokofiev 1 -- it's Oistrakh. Sensible fingerings and bowings.

For Prokofiev 2, I don't believe the International edition is available any longer. I believe the only one you can get in the West is the Boosey & Hawkes, which is okay-ish.

Dunno Bartok 2, sorry.

June 17, 2020, 9:04 PM · Prok. 1, as lydia said has good editing. I don't think there is an edited version of Bartok 2. I used the Boosey & Hawkes. I got my bowings and fingerings from an Oscar Shumsky student. This saved me a huge amount of time. I never performed it but learned it so I could teach it to my student Ricardo Gomez. Take a listen. He was playing on my Thomas Kennedy violin which I loaned him for a few years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7DXcgIx3Ks
June 17, 2020, 9:19 PM · In the end, the "fingerings passed down through the generations" route is often the best, as Bruce notes. :-)

My Prokofiev 2 fingerings come via a hand-me-down tracing back to Sidney Harth, written into an International Edition part.

Edited: June 18, 2020, 2:50 AM · I have a jpg of page 1 of a Russian edition of Prok 2 with fingerings. I don't know where I got it, perhaps Googling images. I'd upload it, but I don't know how.

"Skripka" (my transliteration) appears in the top left corner. Sorry I can't be more helpful. And of course if it's the International Edition, it doesn't refute Lydia's assertion that it's no longer available.

June 19, 2020, 12:07 AM · Thankyou for your responses so far! I'll keep an eye out for the international edition of Prok 2 on Ebay, and amazon just in case. I'm getting the international Prok 1 and the Boosey Bartok for sure and that should keep me busy in my first year. :)

Yes I love passed down fingerings! I picked up an old copy of the Glazunov at a used book store (I just started on it yesterday) and it has so many neat ideas I would have never thought of! Sadly used scores are hard to come by in Edmonton. :(

Also my Tchaik fingerings were passed down to me from my teacher from Sidney Harth as well!

June 20, 2020, 2:50 AM · From what I understand, there is less choice for 20th century concertos for some reason. Or that might just be because of where I libe
June 20, 2020, 11:17 AM · 20th century concertos are often still under copyright. That's why.
June 20, 2020, 3:35 PM · Couple of things I found on Amazon (not necessarily sensibly priced)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Concerto-Arranged-violin-piano-author/dp/5061532295/ref=sr_1_18?dchild=1&keywords=prokofiev+violin+concerto&qid=1592685044&s=books&sr=1-18

https://www.amazon.com/Prokofiev-Violin-Concerto-Op-63-EZ-2042-SS/dp/B007GX1IZ0/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=B007GX1IZ0&qid=1592685236&sr=8-1

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe