Pieces similar to Ysäye but less well-known?

June 15, 2020, 11:02 AM · Hello all,

I'm trying to program some recitals for the coming year (assuming they are allowed to happen!) I love the Ysäye solo sonatas and have worked on several of them, but know that they are performed all the time. I am looking for pieces in a similar vein but less well known- flashy, technically challenging, musically deep and perhaps infused with some late romantic or impressionist sensibility. Any suggestions very welcome. Thank you!

Replies (11)

June 15, 2020, 11:11 AM · Reger Op. 117 are technically "less difficult" but musically intriguing and worth playing in public, should you be allowed to do so in your program. I love the G minor and the Chaconne. This is the latter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQDAaIzWgAc

The B minor seems to also be "better known"-for Reger violin works.

These are not as flashy as the Ysaye, but that does not make them unimpressive. If you are already familiar with them, my apologies.

Edited: June 15, 2020, 11:18 AM · Honegger sonata
June 15, 2020, 11:18 AM · Wow! The Reger Op. 117 are fantastic. I have never heard them before. I'm listening to Sayaka Shoji's recordings right now. She plays them with so much precision and fire!!
June 15, 2020, 2:25 PM · Yes, indeed; many great live, full or partial performances of these works on youtube, by Ms. Shoji. One of the most memorable live performances in my life was her solo violin recital of Bach & Reger, much like in her most recommended recording. It was quite powerful and inspiring.

Glad this may have helped you in some way.

June 15, 2020, 4:34 PM ·

This piece is great and kind of in the Ysäye style! Probably one of the most exciting and satisfying endings to play in my opinion, along with the Ysäye Ballade.

June 15, 2020, 5:23 PM · Grazyna Bacewicz has several solo works for violin. Not quite so hard as Ysaye, from what little I know. Good stuff.
June 15, 2020, 8:02 PM · Honegger!
June 15, 2020, 9:51 PM · I second Bacewicz. I enjoy her stuff a lot
June 16, 2020, 4:35 AM · Wow James that Hindemith! Indeed a perfect answer to the question posed in this thread.
June 16, 2020, 4:45 AM · How about Lennox Berkeley Introduction and Allegro - a wonderful piece. A more obvious choice would be the Kreisler Recitativo and Scherzo Caprice. This was dedicated to Ysaye. They predate the Ysaye Sonatas, and almost preempt their style.
June 16, 2020, 6:55 PM · Enesco's Reminisces of Childhood first movement

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe