Quality and comfortable shoulder strap

June 14, 2020, 3:58 PM · I am currently looking for one (1) quality shoulder strap for use with a second-hand Musafia case I recently purchased. I wanted something like Musafia's own padded strap option, but seemingly no one in the US currently has it in stock. Is there a similar, wide and thick replacement like that?

I also searched randomly on Google for all sort of quality leather straps not exclusive to violin cases, but it is a mess, with lots of irrelevant results and ads.

I do not like the commonly available "SOS" shoulder strap very much. Would like something "refined looking", so to speak, comfortable, and durable.

If any of you have gone through this path before, please feel free to contribute whatever you have found for your own cases. The point is using this lone strap as shoulder option, not as a backpack.

Best Wishes to All,

A

Replies (10)

Edited: June 14, 2020, 6:16 PM · This came up in a thread a long time ago and, as I recall, one thing that was discussed what the possibility of looking for a shoulder strap that's NOT specifically for a violin case. You say you have tried this, but there are shoulder straps on tennis bags, luggage, etc. Type "shoulder strap" into the search box on Amazon, and you might have better luck than just Google.
Edited: June 14, 2020, 7:25 PM · Look for a shoulder strap for a duffle bag. Plenty of options on Amazon.

This cheap one should look fine with the Musafia brown trim, I'd think: LINK

Edited: June 14, 2020, 7:29 PM · Thank you, Mr. Deck.

I searched on Amazon, and from there found the inspiration to search on Etsy again. Found something handmade and interesting, and hoping it will work out well.

My apologies to all for bothering you with this.

Best,

A

Edit: Ms. Leong, saw your link too late, I am afraid. That was a good price too!

Edited: June 15, 2020, 3:08 PM · Noting that you can also buy the shoulder pad that fits onto the strap separately. (But Heifetz never used one. LOL)
Edited: June 22, 2020, 10:05 PM · Just wanted to briefly share my new shoulder strap with extremely comfy pad, and the aforementioned, used case. Its cover has apparently seen many musical battles, but is in otherwise great condition. This old (and older model) Musafia Aeternum really looks as if it would last an Eternity. Great gift for my poor violin!

June 22, 2020, 11:16 PM · That matches the style so well! It looks so nice! Could you provide a link maybe?
June 22, 2020, 11:47 PM · Xuanyuan,

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1934093116

Note that it is "expensive" if bought with the strap as I did, but it is a similar price to the padded Musafia strap offered elsewhere. It is basically a hand-made, artisan item, thus the price. You can choose several colors for the strap itself. I was lucky that the gentleman had precisely a color that would match the case quite well. The leather pad is amazing, very well padded, and extremely comfortable, making carrying the case on my shoulder a breeze. If within your budget, I highly recommend this leather pad and shoulder strap.

(For an affordable option, the Amazon link Ms. Leong found earlier above seems good to me.)

Best,

A

June 23, 2020, 9:54 AM · Transactions on Etsy are private. Could you provide a link to the seller's store instead? Thanks. I have non-violin luggage that could use a really nice strap.

As a side note, the heavily padded shoulder strap on a cheap Fiddlerman Aeternum look-alike case is actually extremely comfortable even if it's no doubt cheap. (Musafia's own strap is very sturdy and relatively comfortable but I wish that it had a thicker layer of padding.)

Edited: June 23, 2020, 12:00 PM · This is the store:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/AlexMLynch?listing_id=596848058&ref=shop_overview_header

Maybe this link will show it properly:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/596848058/thick-leather-shoulder-strap-pad-free

(My apologies-I wasn't aware my previous post's link did not work on other individual's devices.)

He has other leather strap pads with less cushioning that cost less as well. I think the one I purchased may have among the most cushioning/padding (in my own photo, it is not too noticeable), making it a bit pricier.

I do not think mine will "ever" break the way it was built.

Addendum: that Fiddlerman case is quite a shameless copy! You can see the differences, but it may be a good wodden case for those on a budget. Have never seen it in person, though. Perhaps one could order its straps separately.

June 24, 2020, 8:25 PM · I highly recommend the i-stay non slip bag strap. It is amazing

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe