Fun Video: Elton John Gives Shoutout to Royal Academy Student

Edited: June 11, 2020, 8:29 PM · By Norman Lebrecht on June 11, 2020 [Slipped Disc]

Roberts Balanas, a Baltic student in Marylebone, has come somehow to the great man’s attention:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CBSaHgdDoX4/?utm_source=ig_embed

Elton John posted on Instagram: “I was recently sent this video by @rbalanas and I thought it was so fantastic, I just had to share it with you all. Roberts is a student at @royalacademyofmusic and put together this arrangement of ‘I’m Still Standing’ for their Regents’ event that was due to happen back in May. It’s far too good to go to waste, so I’m very glad that you recorded it and sent it to me! I hope to one day get the opportunity to meet you and see you perform in person. ?? #RAMplaysON”

Replies (5)

June 12, 2020, 2:26 PM · This is amazing
June 12, 2020, 4:13 PM · Roberts Balanas is a real showman - another memorable performance: https://www.instagram.com/p/B8iq42-A2Vl/

Note how he retunes the G string on the fly......

June 12, 2020, 4:20 PM · So cool. Gotta love that percussive sound.
June 15, 2020, 6:04 AM · What does he or his luthier do to the pegs/pegbox to make them so manageable? Or am I just so incredibly weak? (certainly the latter, I'm afraid - I really do need either adjusters or planetary - but what about the former?)
July 3, 2020, 8:57 AM · By the way, he's Latvian, not Lithuanian (My mistaken guess)

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe