Midi files

June 8, 2020, 3:57 AM · Anyone know where to download midi files of piano accompaniment? I found an old thread here but looks like the site is long gone. Thanks

Replies (9)

June 8, 2020, 7:19 AM · The closest thing I know is Musescore.
June 8, 2020, 8:03 AM · This page has a bunch: https://www.classicalmidi.co.uk/page7.htm It is hard to use. Click on the composer buttons on the top to search by composer.

I've actually ended up making my own using Finale, but it takes forever.

June 8, 2020, 11:20 AM · The people who run Captcha should figure out how to convert music scores to digital content. Imagine IMSLP: Instead of the annoying 15-second delay to get your music if you haven't paid your dues, you have to translate two bars of some orchestral part. An app would pop up with a keyboard and you'd "play" the music shown on a graphic snippet of a score.
June 10, 2020, 3:45 AM · http://www.kunstderfuge.com/ have some useful stuff.
June 10, 2020, 4:01 PM · I don't use Finale but a friend does and she tells me that you can import a printed piece of music using smart score. From there you should be able, using Finale, to save it as a Midi file. Perhaps Susan could give that a try and let us all know.

If it can, that might convince me to spend the money required for Finale.

June 10, 2020, 5:47 PM · George, that has come up before in many threads in the past, and the general perception is that the process you describe still leaves a large editing job.
June 10, 2020, 7:21 PM · Well, you can get SmartScore for an additional $200 if you are a Finale user (normally $400!!!). I wasn't willing to invest that given what I have heard about it's effectiveness. I've been using Finale since I was in high school (long before it became a $600 piece of software) and I am pretty fast with notation. What takes forever is I usually add a lot of interpretative stuff to the Midi files--I write in tons of extra hairpins and dynamics, along with tempo changes.
June 11, 2020, 4:41 AM · None of the music-recognition software works 100%. They all work best on neatly, cleanly printed originals, which basically means recently printed editions. Which are copyrighted. On older music which might have some extraneous ink spots or other markings which obviously to humans aren't part of the music the software will often add very curious musical notation items in an attempt to interpret everything it sees.
I've been using Finale for almost 30 years, I've been using Sibelius for 20, I've purchased the full versions of the music-scanning programs that they have lite versions built-in to Finale and Sibelius, and for most complex scores (i.e. scores with multiple staves in each system and also with lots of very short notes) the number of errors introduced by the scanning software means that you have to examine every note and every marking to be sure it's all accurate.

For anything other than very simple music most of us who use Finale and Sibelius (and now Dorico) have found that it takes less effort and proves to be more accurate if we just enter the music from the start without scanning.

MuseScore, which was already mentioned, is a powerful and free notation program which can produce the midi files you want (or actual audio output into MP3 files) to play along to.

I appreciate Bud's suggestion of kustderfuge.com -- I joined and immediately downloaded the zip file of all the midi files (about 17,000) of them so I can mess around with them at my leisure even when I'm not connected to the internet.

I haven't had a chance to examine them to see what sorts of sonatas and concerti they have included, but opening any of the midi files in MuseScore it should be easy to eliminate the solo part and save (under a different name!) so that you end up with a nice practice file. For pieces where the accompaniment and the solo start on the same beat, with MuseScore you can insert a measure or two of a metronome-type click so you can enter at the correct time.

June 11, 2020, 11:11 PM · https://www.classicalarchives.com/midi.html

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe