New Yorker article on online practicing

June 6, 2020, 4:32 PM · This article from this weeks New Yorker should be of interest to any musician. https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/bassoonfluencers-the-world-of-instagram-practice-accounts?utm_source=nl&utm_brand=tny&utm_mailing=TNY_Daily_060620&utm_campaign=aud-dev&utm_medium=email&bxid=5be9cef524c17c6adf3b5658&cndid=39544357&hasha=5145a9c4b73cd713aef3d641d012d432&hashb=b8b350e7f2bf59a339319572bc97da758b870ad0&hashc=a2b35d6987427ee0b018f0e4b92548afa76a251681e8953cc9d2ccc9fa8ce97c&esrc=bounceX&utm_term=TNY_Daily

Replies (10)

June 6, 2020, 6:40 PM · That's a mouthful, Bruce. It was a pretty interesting article

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/bassoonfluencers-the-world-of-instagram-practice-accounts

June 6, 2020, 9:15 PM · This may just be the way to get all the kids out there practicing without parents nagging at them.
June 6, 2020, 9:19 PM · Fascinating. My son started doing one during quarantine, and while he hates recording, it has been profoundly beneficial for him.
June 7, 2020, 6:16 AM · Online practice accounts are a great way to encourage accountability. I recommend them, but keep your youngsters guarded and accounts private where possible.
June 7, 2020, 6:24 AM · Susan, how is your son recording his IG posts? What tech I mean?
June 7, 2020, 8:57 AM · It depends. Most of the time my husband helps him using our Zoom recorder/microphone hooked up to his regular still camera (which is very good quality - Lumix something or other). If he wants to do multiple parts, then he often uses Acapella, which is only on the iPhone, and a little Shure microphone. It's an old iPhone (SE) so the quality is so-so.

He usually puts some effort into getting his IG posts at least reasonably good, the goal being to choose a (usually hard) spot to practice up to recording level. He still hates every single one of his recordings and finds 10 things he could have done better.

June 7, 2020, 4:09 PM · @Susan

>and finds 10 things he could have done better.

One should probably argue that this is the point.

June 7, 2020, 4:18 PM · Exactly, James.
June 7, 2020, 9:57 PM · I’ve just sorta figured out the zoom camera, best settings, etc..
It does seem really superior to iPhone, sound wise. Next step for a Luddite is figuring how to use the Q4n to livestream her lessons on zoom, we have been FaceTiming.
Edited: June 7, 2020, 10:20 PM · We don't post anything online but my daughter likes to practice making vlogs. We gave it a go and she talked more than she practiced but it was interesting for us to hear what she is thinking while she practices. She seems to actually understand what the problems are but does not know how to fix them. She needs to communicate more with her teacher.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe