Extensive Violin Repairs, NYC, COVID 19 Era

June 5, 2020, 5:46 AM · My Beloved Instrument had an unfortunate accident, falling on its belly while fully stringed. It has a few long cracks on the left side of the top, though no soundpost cracks. That was an incredible sad day, to the point I was distressed, distracted, unfocused, and crying for a while.

Anyone in NYC knows of currently "open" luthiers/shops that would be willing to help on appointment during these extraordinary times? I need expert help, but also some open-mindedness about working on a "no name", Mirecourt instrument. I expect many shops would rather not work on it, given previous experiences in the City while seeking minor repair work. But this violin is more than important to me, having the sound I love, and being my Life Companion for many years-It's not just a musical tool.

Thanks so much for your understanding, and any possible help. Be well, and stay safe. Keep practicing, and making the music you love.

Replies (12)

June 5, 2020, 10:28 AM · If you are willing to drive to Connecticut there is Timothy Johnson. http://www.timothyjohnsonluthier.com/

He does good work for reasonable prices.
http://directories.thestrad.com/servicescourses/stringservices/timothy-g-johnson-luthier/

June 5, 2020, 11:16 AM · Mr. Berg,

Genuine thanks for your time and recommendation. I have been on "lockdown" for a while, and more importantly, do not have a car, always relying on public transportation. I have also heard good things about a place in NJ, but even that shorter trip out of town makes me a little nervous-which is why I mentioned NYC first and foremost (I am not even sure many of the nearby shops are open even by appointment at this point.) That said, I made note of the luthier and website, in case it may be of use in the future.

Be well, and stay safe-sorry for the loss of your friend.

Sincerely,

A

June 5, 2020, 11:27 AM · I am very very sorry to hear about your accident. The range of emotions that you described is how I would feel, too!

I do not know any luthiers in NYC, but there are some that you can ship violins to for luthier work. Is that an option for you?

June 5, 2020, 12:33 PM · Some of the higher-end shops are open by appointment, I know, and still have one luthier working in their workshop doing repairs.
June 5, 2020, 3:29 PM · I too am sorry to hear of your accident. I cannot offer any advice but am interested in the name of the place in NJ as that is close to me and would like it for future reference. Hope you don’t mind my asking and good luck in your hunt
June 5, 2020, 7:47 PM · Mr. Doyle,

Martin Nitsche
560 32nd St
Union City, NJ 07087
(718) 777-5788

The Internet in all of its wisdom tells me he is "temporarily closed", but perhaps you may get in touch with him. Hopefully he is doing well.

Thanks for your understanding. Also learned today my grandmother has liver cancer, which none of us suspected. Our Journey continues, despite all sorrow.

I will see to it my Violin "gets better" in time. It is all I live and hope for. Hopefully someone can help in the City sooner, rather than later.

Mr. Huhn,

I would feel very nervous about shipping It, sadly. Thanks so much for your kind attention.

Ms. Leong,

I shall see-will contact whoever if I do not get further advice.

Hope you all have been safe. Never take for granted your precious instruments.

All the Best with Thanks,

A

June 6, 2020, 3:26 AM · Try calling a shop that you would normally go to. While shops may not be officially open, many will have someone there from time to time to take in instruments, and then pass them along to employees who are working from home.

Expect some restrictions, such as the shop waiting three days from the time the instrument is dropped off, until they will handle it.

June 6, 2020, 8:18 AM · Mr. Burgess,

Thanks for your contribution. Hoping you have been safe, and doing well.

Ended up contacting one of my usual shops, as you suggested. Received a reply, and am now expecting an appointment for next week-hopefully they agree to assist my dear instrument get a second life.

Best Wishes,

A

Edited: June 6, 2020, 10:01 AM · Adalberto wrote:

"Mr. Burgess,
Thanks for your contribution. Hoping you have been safe, and doing well."

Adalberto, I'm doing all right. Niche fiddlemaking has never provided a very predictable income, so I have the advantage of being accustomed to that. My parents also taught me how to live very frugally, and I am so grateful to them for that.

Best to you as well.

June 6, 2020, 10:38 AM · my luthier is in upper west side by 90th st. lukas wronski. i went to 2 luthiers before him with a cosmetic damage and lukas by far did the best job in repair with a affordable price. i highly recommend him, he is very flexible so i'm sure he will take you on appointment.
June 13, 2020, 12:51 AM · Mr. Kyle,

Thanks so much for your recommendation last weekend. Hope you have been safe in the City.

Ended up bringing my dear violin to my usual shop for repairs last Monday. They know me, and treated me well. It required major surgery, as it did have a small top sound post crack as well. I assume it will take some time, but I am reassured knowing it will have a great repair. Expensive, sure, but it is a violin I do not intend to ever sell, even if I was privileged to find a valuable and great sounding violin later on. Could not have left my life companion in such a state (and for all practical purposes, it would have been tough to find a "replacement", regardless.)

My current sadness is more about my grandmother, whom I won't be able to see due to our COVID 19 situation, is critically ill (not COVID, but worse), and far away from here. I look forward to dedicate all my music to her once me and my violin become one once again.

Thanks so much to everyone, and keep enjoying making music that you love and keeps you inspired.

Best Wishes,

A

June 14, 2020, 6:37 AM · Mr. Adalberto,

Sorry to hear of your violin accident and ailing grandmother. A lot of skill and time can hopefully make your prized instrument as good as new with virtually invisible reminders of this unfortunate mishap.

Since you are unable to visit your grandmother perhaps you could send her lots of cards with pictures of you and your violin, your family, your life in New York , which she would find comforting and connecting at the end of her life.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe