Can someone identify the violinist in this recording?

June 1, 2020, 9:16 AM · Hello,

Ive been trying to figure out who the violinist is in this recording of Svendsen Romance: https://youtu.be/wZ_N7rpbG-c

If anyone can figure this out and the album it came from, Id be so grateful.

Thanks,
Nathan

Replies (12)

June 1, 2020, 1:39 PM · I think I know the person who made this video. I don't have his contact information, but he visited a Dutch forum quite often. I'm not sure if he is still active there because I don't come there any more myself. But I can try to ask him your question there. When he gives a reaction I will let you know
June 1, 2020, 1:42 PM · Thanks, I really appreciate that!
June 2, 2020, 12:54 AM · Hi Nathan, I made contact with the person of the YouTube video, but unfortunately he doesn't remember who the violinist is or the track that he used for this video. So back to the source didn't help this time, sorry.
Edited: June 2, 2020, 2:04 PM · I'm glad someone else likes this piece besides me! I'm working on it right now (too). Gotta be someone with that nervous-fast-sounding vibrato. I don't think it's Heifetz. His vibrato is normally wider and he would have played more "Heifetz slides."

Great piece -- shamelessly lush and romantic. The perfect salon piece. The orchestra accompaniment doesn't sound all that hard either.

June 2, 2020, 2:25 PM · Nice old recording! From the style, it doesn't sound like one of the famous oldies... but am interested nonetheless to find out who it is.
June 2, 2020, 2:54 PM · It is Herman Krebbers, recorded in the '60s.
June 2, 2020, 2:55 PM · I kept expecting it to go into the 2nd movement of Grieg's 3rd sonata during the piu mosso sections. I was under the impression that that dude used a good deal of recordings of the Naxos label, but I could be way off.
June 2, 2020, 11:12 PM · My guess is that it was taken from an other youtube video, that now is gone (?).
June 3, 2020, 1:40 AM · Your profile picture looks like one Hilary Hahn used for an album lol.
June 4, 2020, 3:17 PM · Mattias, you are right. The maker of the video looked a bit more and found some more information. It is Herman Krebbers. With the information I got, It must be this album I think: https://www.discogs.com/Herman-Krebbers-Svendsen-Saint-Sa%C3%ABns-Vieuxtemps-Paganini-Svendsen-Paganini-Vieuxtemps-Saint-Sa%C3%ABns/release/13268783
Edited: June 4, 2020, 5:52 PM · Krebbers's old buddy Theo Olof recorded the most beautiful solo Bach I've ever heard. His chaconne is utterly unique to me in conveying - and it's hard to write this because it sounds so imprecise and screamingly subjective, but - LOVE.

It's on Spotify.
If anybody has any thoughts on it, share away. (Just writing this to share, should someone else listen and resonate with it that way with it as well.)

Edited: June 4, 2020, 9:05 PM · Wow! Krebbers was AndrĂ© Rieu's teacher. And Frank Peter Zimmerman's. I see that Krebbers has recorded concertos with Rieu conducting the orchestra. Cool!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe