New reportoire... Help

May 30, 2020, 8:24 PM · So today my teacher that I should play new things.

Etudes:
We discuss and she decided that I should play kreutzer 12 (personally I don't like it...) and gave these options because I need to choose one: Fiorillo 13, Fiorillo 28 or Kreutzer 36. I really like Fiorillo 13 but it may be the most difficult one of this list

Bach S&P:
I finished Gavotte en Rondeau and she suggested Bouree (Partita 3) which I find quite easy, and Allemande (Partita 2). I like Allemande but I'd love to play the adagio (Sonata 1). I've already played the gigue (Partita 3) and double (Partita 1). Do you have any other interesting suggestion?

Piece:
She suggested Beethoven Romance in F major and I suggested Brahms violin sonata n1 1st movement or Franck violin sonata 1st movement... Maybe I'll go with Brahms (I find it a little bit harder than Franck) but I would like any other piece/sonata you think it's good and at the same level as these suggestions.

Concerto:
She wanted to give me Kabalevsky but I said that I don't play Kabalevsky because I really don't this concert. It's boring and I can't even listen to it anymore.
I suggested Mozart 5, which is more challenging and she didn't said anything else. I really need more options. Although I really like Mozart 5, it would be interesting receive some new ideas...

Replies (7)

May 30, 2020, 8:46 PM · Listen to your teacher. Leave the Brahms and Franck for a few years down the road. You aren't going to get much out of them at this point.

Honestly, hopping around like this is bizarre. Go through the whole book of Kreutzer. Kreutzer 12 is necessary - You aren't going to like all the Kreutzer etudes, since they're not all huge works of art, but they are all very necessary from a technical standpoint. Maybe if your trill is really well developed, you can skip over one or two of the trill etudes.

Stop negotiating with your teacher - Your teacher is the teacher and you are not.

May 30, 2020, 8:55 PM · I agree with Christian. Your teacher knows better and is there to guide you
Edited: May 30, 2020, 9:33 PM · Some teachers including my daughter's violin teacher assigns etudes to address specific technical issues as they arise rather than go through the entire etude book so that part does not bother me although it is a bit puzzling that there was a "choice" so to speak. If certain etudes can help you fill gaps efficiently, why not learn all of them rather than just picking one? It isn't like choosing a concerto.

It sounds like you think you should be playing harder pieces than your teacher wants you to and you sound frustrated. Do you feel you are being held back by your teacher? If so, you should have an honest, open discussion with your teacher.

Edited: May 30, 2020, 10:46 PM · I also agree with Christian.

Incidentally Mozart 5 is much harder than Kabalevsky and there is absolutely no way I would teach that to a student for whom I thought Kabalevsky was a good fit. Other pieces I teach to students at about the Kabalevsky level are De Beriot #9 (I often teach that right before Kabalevsky) or Praeludium and Allegro. Scene de Ballet might also fit here.

You are not ready for the Bach g minor adagio. Listen to your teacher.

Edited: May 30, 2020, 11:13 PM · So your teacher wants you to play Kreutzer No. 12 and Beethoven Op. 50 before Mozart 5. Both the Kreutzer No. 12 and the Beethoven are often assigned to develop intonation security on the E string. The Beethoven also teaches some classical musicality. Both of those skills are absolutely essential for Mozart 5. And neither the Franck Sonata first movement nor the Fiorillo No. 28 will give you that. F28 has a few high notes but the main focus of that study is entirely different. Kreutzer No. 10 (one of my favorite studies of all time) is useful as preparation for No. 12 in my opinion.

So I'm agreeing with the others who suggested that you follow your teacher's prescription. But you might, in future, ask what she intends you to learn from what she has assigned. I believe this is a reasonable question for a student to be asking, because then you know what you're supposed to focus on. Another reasonable question would be, "What is my path to Mozart 5?" if that is a concerto that you want to play. But since either M4 or M5 is almost universally assigned, my guess is that you are on that path already.

May 31, 2020, 4:06 AM · Alfonso it is rather strange to say "I don't like Kreutzer 12'. It consists of arpeggios which are a necessary skill. Such rising arpeggio's as in Kreutzer 12 occur everywhere. You MUST acquire the skill to play Kreutzer 12 if you want to advance on the violin. Or, are you saying "Kreutzer 12 is boring, I can already do that"? OK then you may have a point. But for some reason I don't think that is the case...
Edited: May 31, 2020, 6:57 AM · My teacher allows me choices because my personal psychology for learning is if I hate something I will likely not practice it as much as I should and I will not learn as much as a different etude. However, this seems extreme. You should not question every single thing your teacher assigns. I had a teacher who was attempting to assign student Vivaldiā€™s concertos when I should have been playing stamitz concerto. I switched teachers and went through rep. And development much quicker.

I doubt this is the case through for you.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe