Igor Levit Livestreaming Satie's Vexations Right Now

Edited: June 2, 2020, 11:58 AM · Sorry for the late notice. It's 10 hours in, so you've already missed a lot, and you'll have to catch up on your own. Maybe you can find the spark notes if you are dull and lazy like I think you are. Real champs stay until the end.

Here is an update of Igor speaking with the NY Times afterward

Replies (9)

May 30, 2020, 7:12 PM · I'm vexed that I missed this.
May 30, 2020, 10:30 PM · Oh snaps! Show's over! It was real, y'all. That last one was something else. Hope my dude Igor is okay after that Herculean task. One love.
May 31, 2020, 12:33 AM · Coming up next - ASLSP! Actually it already started 19 years ago in Halberstadt but there's plenty of time to catch it yet
Edited: May 31, 2020, 1:02 AM · You know, Steve, I learned something today, and for that I have you to blame, so I hope you're happy for crowding the once pristine and empty folds of my brain with new synapses.

Bonus points for the Herzogesque narration. It would actually be pretty cool to be there on September 5th of this year for the changing of the chord.

May 31, 2020, 2:18 AM · The day after my birthday. Would be a geeky present from someone haha
Edited: June 2, 2020, 6:01 AM · It occurs to me that the Satie would be a useful piece for a string ensemble to work on - such as in getting all those enharmonic double flats and sharps right. Remember, no equal temperament, and G## and Bbb are not the same as A natural, or each other.

As an aside, if an ensemble were to perform Cage's 4'33" in public, perhaps on April 1st, then would it not be appropriate to have a conductor on the podium? A certain type of conductor (we've all met 'em at some time or other) would be able to strut his stuff for the entertainment of the audience without fear of the almost inevitable consequences from a live ensemble trying to follow the baton.

June 2, 2020, 11:33 AM · Trevor, a real renegade would play during those 4'33". It would just be another bit of music out in the universe, and also to show up that snooty conductor.
June 2, 2020, 2:08 PM · Christian, were I to be in such a band for the 4'33" I think I'd be inclined to come up with a few Irish jigs and reels, played at well above dancing speed. At my age I don't care if I'm a renegade - getting known and remembered is far more important!
June 2, 2020, 2:44 PM · I like your style Trevor, and I imagine John Cage would approve.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe