Masterclass suggestions?

May 29, 2020, 10:42 PM · Hi everyone!

I am really getting into more lyrical repertoire lately in an effort to bring my playing to that "next level" musically. I've elected to add Mozart 5 and the Brahms G major sonata to my daily routine.

I find that watching masterclasses is often helpful to me, so I was wondering if anyone has some good masterclass recommendations (specifically on playing lyrically; It can be any repertoire) and suggestions of pieces or exercises that really changed your playing musically.

If you have any recordings you really enjoy too, I would love to add them to my playlist!

Side note: I do have a great teacher already, and can work my way around the instrument well enough. I'm hoping that I can find some inspiration to just make things really click.

Thanks in advance! ☺️

Replies (11)

May 30, 2020, 8:27 AM · Well if you want a good Mozart 5 masterclass watch the Ana chumenchenco masterclass on Mozart on Medici tv.
May 30, 2020, 9:38 AM · There is a masterclass with Zukerman on YouTube for Mozart 5 I believe. I haven't watched it, as for me he plays classical too romantic if that makes sense. But it should be good either way
May 30, 2020, 9:44 AM · That masterclass is spectacular, one of the best I’ve ever seen. Zukerman plays in a romantic way but the discussion of sound is so spectacular. I always prefer beautiful to correct if it can’t be both and he may not be “correct” but it is the most beautiful Mozart I’ve yet heard.
May 30, 2020, 9:52 AM · Mark, Zukerman is one of my overall favs. But as I say, his Mozart is not my cup of tea. My first exposure to his concertos was Mutter. But my go to recently has been Grumiaux
May 30, 2020, 9:58 AM · Zukerman and Vengerov masterclasses for sure!
May 30, 2020, 10:00 AM · The Menuhin Competition posted a number of their masterclasses from the 2018 competition which can still be found on Youtube. Pamala Frank's materclass includes the Brahms G major:

Menuhin Competition 2018, Masterclass Pamela Frank

May 30, 2020, 10:37 AM · Mark Kliesen, I would even argue that in some ways Zukerman could be more 'correct' than others. At least when he is trying to communicate a singing style, he emphasizes diction, a focused 'nasal operatic sound' close to the bridge, and is careful to vibrate inconvenient notes (since singers don't have to deal with weak 4th fingers or awkward shifts in the same way). He also is not afraid to play singing lines in the upper positions of the lower strings, in order to broaden the tone colour spectrum and not be constantly breaking registers, as well as utilise glissandi to better connect larger shifts.
May 30, 2020, 10:40 AM · Whatever Zukerman says about sound, everyone should listen. I've never heard another violinist live with such a sound, even if I found his interpretation phoned-in and boring.
May 30, 2020, 11:55 AM · But this is still violin music, not an aria. If you look at treatise from the period on playing, Zukerman is most certainly not preforming how those violinists would have. And if you listen to a period singer, like dame Emma Kirkby, the tone is beautiful and shaped but often without vibrato.
May 30, 2020, 1:08 PM · I absolutely agree that Zukerman is certainly not performing how those violinists would have. Perhaps in this case I just don't equate the word 'correct' with being 'historically accurate'. I think beautiful could also mean correct, in fact anything that moves the heart can be considered correct. If in 100 years anyone would perform my pieces (not likely lol), then as long as they touch the hearts of others, for me it is correct.
Edited: May 30, 2020, 7:34 PM · I love Zukerman playing anything. Everything about his playing conveys what I am listening for in music.

As for master classes, I think there are a lot of good ones on YouTube with violin professors that maybe you never heard of (well, at least I hadn't).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d81sG06Dolw

Not Mozart 5, but maybe close enough to pick up some general thoughts.

Same violinist playing M5 here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jorr-tjmsrA

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Watch Gilharmonic on Violinist.com
Watch Gilharmonic on Violinist.com

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe