Sounds like Titanic

Edited: May 27, 2020, 1:20 AM · This has made my morning
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/may/27/milli-violini-fake-violinist-miming-orchestra-jessica-chiccehitto-hindman-memoir-sounds-like-titanic
Nice work if you can get it! And what would you call music that combines classical with rap?

Replies (13)

May 27, 2020, 4:59 AM · Label for music that combines classical with rap?

Rapical

Classirap

May 27, 2020, 5:04 AM · If the audience approves I'd suggest Claptrap. But it's in the article...
May 27, 2020, 12:10 PM · C-rap?
May 27, 2020, 12:44 PM · According to the Guardian:
The real story behind Sounds Like Titanic is a willingness in the US to pick the most charismatic guy over the most qualified. One of Hindman’s fellow musicians calls The Composer’s music “crap” since it has “all the popularity of rap with the respectability of classical”. Who is The Composer - somebody out there knows!
Unfortunately I'm sure I wouldn't pass the audition for the miming orchestra on account of pulchritude-discrimination and the fact that my bow usually goes the wrong way
May 27, 2020, 2:45 PM · Oh my, classical music has turned into pop!
May 27, 2020, 6:48 PM · Music that combines classical with rap is often called...."rap". Rap Producers have been sampling classical music for a while now, with some pretty good results, and some misses.

Ludacris's "Coming 2 America" is one of my favorites, but posting it here would likely put me in violation of the forum rules. I could see purists being pretty disgusted though.

On the "classical" side of things, I'm sure there are plenty of composers incorporating various elements of rap into their compositions, and trying to figure out how to do so organically.

Lupe Fiasco had violinist Rosy Timms compose works on his 2015 album Tetsuo and Youth that served as interstitial tracks. I'm sure there is all kinds of stuff going on that I'm not very aware of.

May 27, 2020, 8:09 PM · Vulture suggests it's Tim Janis: LINK

Tim Janis on YouTube: CHANNEL

Edited: May 28, 2020, 3:12 AM · Thanks Lydia - I've never come across him before but I think his music could benefit from a bit more rap in the claptrap.

I shouldn't complain about "fake" performances having perpetrated fake string quartet recordings for a decade, but I was a bit dismayed to see that this year's BBC Proms are to start with a "lockdown orchestra" of 350 musicians (actually I guess that includes the chorus) playing Beethoven symphonies. Not as dismayed as the players, I expect. A proportion of the public probably thinks it's nice for them all to play together from their homes, but unless BBC technology has made a breakthrough the only sound they'll hear in addition to themselves is a click track.

Edited: May 28, 2020, 7:50 AM · Many years ago a local pro string quartet had a slot on local TV where they were seen playing live, and from memory, part of a Mozart quartet in a field in the nearby countryside. It sounded most realistic but I couldn't see the microphones.

A few days later I met the cellist, whom I knew fairly well from Bristol Music Club, and asked him how they did it. He said that they were playing to a tape recording they had made in the TV studios, and that was what was going out on air. In the field the quartet could hear through loudspeakers the recording so that they could synch to it, but the camera mics were turned off during their playing. I didn't ask, but they must have rehearsed playing to their own recording.

Edited: May 28, 2020, 8:42 AM · This kind of thing really pushes my buttons.

I saw a similar scam when a theater company rented our auditorium at the school where I was teaching. We had the largest auditorium in a school in the metropolitan area, and made money for our student projects by renting the space to others on weekends when the space was empty. Well, a touring theater company came in and did a show. This auditorium is huge. It's one of those giant high school spaces where the sound is difficult to project to the the back row. However, when the actors began to speak, the sound quality was amazing. They didn't use body microphones, or another kind of sound projection., but the voices were clear, articulate, and well-modulated. I stood in the back of the auditorium and i was amazed with what I heard. So I went out the door, and wandered around to the back of the stage. I saw their stage manager sitting in a chair next to a reel to reel tape recorder. The truth came out. The actors were lip-syncing their voices to the recording. I was really put off with this ruse. The audience wasn't getting a genuine theater experience. The actors wren't communicating, their were just working to keep up with the recording.

That was in the late 90's. Since then, I've seen this scam on an even greater scale. Last December I attended a touring company production of a large Broadway musical. Like the experience in that high school auditorium, the sound was perfect. The orchestra was amazing, and that was odd because there were only a dozen musicians in the pit and yet, the music sounded like a huge orchestra. Clearly, this whole show was a recorded soundtrack. The actors voices were too clear. It was like ea 3-D movie and not a play. Hence, there was no communication with the audience.Laughs got stunted because the actors couldn't pause for the laughter to run its course. They had to keep it going no matter what. Once again, there was no genuine live experience. We were simply spectators, and not sharing in a unique experience.

I also saw a very popular tap dance company add extra electronic taps to their fancy footwork. I was sitting next to a speaker, and the electronic taps were just a little off. The recording would play the taps just before their feet hit the floor.

To me, this pursuit of perfection, this quest to be pristine is cowardly and selfish. It robs the community of a genuine artistic experience and reduces it to little more than a edited YouTube video.

If you want a recording, then go out and buy a recording. There's nothing wrong with that. However, If you want it live, and pay for a live experience, you should get what you pay for, and not an overpriced fake.

The point of the arts is to share an experience, not to take the money and run. I am hoping with this cultural pause in the mid of this awful pandemic, we might be able to reevaluate the use of technology when it comes to human communication. When something is live - let it be live with all its wonders, flaws, spontaneity, and risk.

Oh, after I discovered that ruse by the theater company, I canceled all of their future performances in my auditorium. .

Edited: May 28, 2020, 2:47 PM · In a sufficiently large auditorium, such as Michael mentioned, or a 2000 seat concert hall, there will be an observable time lag for an observer at the back of the hall between what he sees on the stage and what he hears. For example, the cymbals player will have ceased moving his cymbals before his sound reaches the back of the auditorium.

A killer, which I think was mentioned in the Guardian article, is if the audio recording suffers a glitch during the "performance", then a big "oops"!

May 28, 2020, 9:29 AM · Trevor, miming for TV was standard practice.
The worst I ever did was here in Belfast.
We recorded the sound in our usual studio on a Saturday.
On the Sunday, we were in the TV studio to mime to our recording.
Two major problems.
String players have one copy of music per two players. We all had a wooden box to act as a stand in front of us - so half of us had no music, and were having to look sideways at our partner's copy a couple of yards away.
Secondly, the sound had been done with a click track as a count in, so we knew when it would start. Some idiot had removed this, so we all sat there and the first indication was when the music started. This went for the conductor - luckily an experienced pro.
So we sat there - and everything started with a sudden jerk including the conductor.
The pictures that went out were a mixture of us, and shots taken in a cornfield. Especially the solo singer. Of course, no microphones in sight.
TV were happy enough with the pictures, and we got the extra fee for TV work, so all were happy.
Never trust what you see on TV.
May 28, 2020, 12:10 PM · I suspect that whom ever recorded the music he used in this scam, most likely without paying any royalties, would like to have a word or two with him. Mankind will never cease to amaze me.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Watch Gilharmonic on Violinist.com
Watch Gilharmonic on Violinist.com

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe