Bruch 1st and 2nd Concerto difficulty?

Edited: May 23, 2020, 11:57 AM · I'm in a dilemma. For my next year's final violin exam I have to choose a concerto for my repertoire. My professor suggested Bruch's 1st concerto, but I took a liking to the 2nd one more. When I proposed that that I'd like to play the 2nd, they said it's more difficult, but looking at the sheet music, I think they are quite similar in the technical ability required.

Am I wrong? Which concerto would you say is more technically (and also musically) more demanding?

Please help.

Replies (10)

May 23, 2020, 12:12 PM · Bruch 2 is definitely more difficult than Bruch 1.

If you don't care for Bruch 1, the first movement of Lalo Symphonie Espagnole is of approximately equivalent difficulty.

May 23, 2020, 1:41 PM · I really enjoy Bruch 2 more than the first. They're all pretty decent
Edited: May 23, 2020, 7:48 PM · It's very important to clarify whether you're to choose and perform a whole concerto or just the first movement. I've heard the last movement of Bruch 1 is a beast. (Same for Lalo.)

Is that your video of the Klengel trio?

Your parents chose an interesting name for you. I guess you know that already.

May 24, 2020, 2:42 PM · Thank you all very much for the answers!

To clarify, I am intending to play the whole concerto.

And Mr. Deck, about the video of the Klengel performance, if you mean the one from a competition about 4 years ago, then yes, that should be me. :)

May 24, 2020, 4:06 PM · As Mary Ellen already noted, the 2nd Concerto is much more technically challenging, especially in the 2nd and 3rd movements.
May 25, 2020, 4:51 PM · Paul, I would say that the more interesting name of the two was the one Anastasija's parents did NOT choose! However, the "j" in the spelling would seem to preclude familial connections with what one would find in history books.
May 26, 2020, 2:09 AM · Just found out there is even a 3rd Bruch concerto!
May 26, 2020, 10:09 AM · I assume that the “j” in the spelling is simply a different transliteration from the Cyrillic alphabet.
Edited: May 27, 2020, 6:55 AM · Probably, Mary Ellen, but not one I think a Russian would adopt - The influence of French on that culture was too great. OP could be of Latvian, Serbian, Macedonian, or similar extraction (not Polish, in which the surname would be spelled with a "w"), which would preclude traceable links with the Russian royal family.
June 1, 2020, 10:23 AM · Bruch 2 is a dramatic, rewarding concerto with many opportunities for lyricism and virtuosity, and is decidedly tougher than the g minor. I’ve only played the d minor in public a handful of times, and was thrilled when David Russell and Linda Cerone suggested it to me for the summer of 2005 at the Encore School for Strings. Ten years after I played it there, I was grateful to play it in Ohio, Minnesota, and Colorado. The opening of the finale with its irregular phrases is a potential memory trap...be careful!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Watch Gilharmonic on Violinist.com
Watch Gilharmonic on Violinist.com

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe