Smartphone/iphone portable video/microphone

Edited: May 19, 2020, 10:50 AM · Hi All,

What is everyone using to record themselves at home?
Built in mics produce some pretty crappy sound.

Im quite interested in the Cominca Smartphone Video Kit. Seems way simpler than trying to hook all sorts of stuff up to my desktop.

I’ll need to record on my phone since I use my iPad Pro for reading music.
I’ve also contemplated getting an all in one video recorder.

Curious to see responses!

Thanks!
Jay

Replies (7)

May 19, 2020, 10:48 AM · What?
May 19, 2020, 10:50 AM · Jerry, an initial question/observation is apparently missing from your thread.
May 19, 2020, 10:56 AM · It was, but now it has been edited in. There have been at least 5000 posts made since COVID-19 on microphones and whatnot
, maybe you could read one of those for some additional information?
June 3, 2020, 1:59 AM · Hi Jerry! If you have mics, you could use the irig duo pro on battery or ac adapter which has phantom power, which has 2 inputs for sterek recording, route that on a 3.5mm minijack output to a monitor/headphones, and a 3.5mm minijack 3 ring input (not 2, as the 3rd ring on the jack is a mic input signal) into a phone or recorder, or laptop mic 3.5mm input.

I use a similar setup but instead of am irig, I use a 8 channel mixer routed the same way, just try to get the right levels so it dosent clip or get too soft. A bit overkill with dpas and earthworks mics, but any real mic will make a difference for multiple digital platforms whether recording, video conferencing, etc.

June 3, 2020, 9:04 AM · The Cominca claims to have a "professional" microphone, so you should be all set with that.
Edited: June 3, 2020, 10:03 PM · Thomas, thanks for the recommendation for the iRig pro Duo I/O (The current version). Lately I’ve been trying hard to find a way to make good quality recordings with my iPhone, and I’ve been leaning towards an iRig pro I/O, or pro Duo I/O, to use with the dpa 4099 microphone that I already have. dpa 4099’s are made to be mounted on the instrument and are optimized for close proximity, but they work very well at greater distances too. A mic stand mount is available, which I also already have. It’s just starting to seem like a good way to go (since I already have the dpa 4099). GarageBand appears to be a flexible and usable recording app, and I already have that too. Altogether it seems like an iRig pro Duo I/O will be the ideal interface to tie everything I already have together into a good recording system.
June 4, 2020, 12:04 AM · My pleasure Mark, I have a stereo pair of dpa 4060 omni micro lavs that I can use for close miking, interview work, or getting sound of the room. Its a little more flexible use than the 4099 which are very nice also, those 4099 have a lower noise floor! I need very natural and natural microphones to capture accurately true sounds of instruments in my shop, as well as recording projects and other digital media projects.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Watch Gilharmonic on Violinist.com
Watch Gilharmonic on Violinist.com

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe