Schradieck

Edited: May 19, 2020, 10:09 AM · I must apologize to Charles Zacks for poo pooing Schradieck. As it turns out it's just the mind numbing exercise that allows the nerves free rein. I play along with this: Schradieck page 1 . So slow it takes over 20 minutes but is good for seeing how your posture/technique is for stamina. Before any complains about the type of intonation used, a good sequencer will allow you to choose. I don't do it legato but try to make each note a 'pearl'. I'll add other midi pages - unless you want to do some folks?

Replies (15)

May 19, 2020, 10:13 AM · Hi Bud,

It sounds like you are maybe not getting the full benefit of the exercises by the way you are using them. It's not really about developing your stamina. You should be setting your hand and wrist in the most relaxed way (straight wrist) and letting your fingers fall as lightly as they can, and moving them UP quickly, to develop fluency and relaxation in your handshape. Starting slow is more like starting 4 notes to a bow. I'm not sure if slowly playing one note per bow is going to do much for that. As far as playing to a midi, what you want to do is set your hand according to the intonation of the violin rather than play to an external source. You won't have the midi in performance.

Edited: May 19, 2020, 10:18 AM · As I said, one can use just intonation or even pythagorean if one wishes. The midi file is like a personal trainer - even in orchestra I don't play for a solid 20 minutes. One note to a bow, 4, 8? I think there are many ways to get something out of this exercise.
Edited: May 19, 2020, 2:54 PM · Something happens when I'm about half way (10 minutes) - my proximal joint on my RH index finger gains a relationship it never had. Now I understand! Only at 40 bmp separate bows. Here's page 2:

Schradieck page 2

May 21, 2020, 1:41 PM · Thanks for doubling back on the topic of Schradieck - Clearly, any given excercise might not be useful to everyone, and perhaps more to the point, an excercise might more useful at a particular episode of learning compared to another. My teacher suggested Schradieck when I was having trouble with a subtle but systematic sharping of intonation on A,E strings and corresponding flattening on G,D strings. Schradieck was the particular cod-liver oil I needed to cure that. My current use of Schradieck is to gradually accelerate (as written, one or two bows per line), so that the fingers rise and fall quickly as well as accurately in smooth, integrated gestures, not "one at a time". Like Christian said, starting slowly is OK, but gradually accelerating seems to help develop the desired automaticity.
Edited: May 21, 2020, 3:03 PM · Since coronavirus has put the lid on orchestras in my area until early next year (if we're lucky!) I've decided to reappraise my technique in the loads of free time that has suddenly appeared.

I suspect that my technique is getting a little ragged here and there, doubtless due to an almost unremitting diet of orchestral playing over the last few years, so I've downloaded most of Schradieck Book 1, work on which should bring to my attention any technical deficiencies that I may have acquired. Stamina is not an issue for me, but I shall certainly take on board the useful comments in the posts above.

May 21, 2020, 3:03 PM · I think it pays to re-read the instructions that Schradieck himself wrote at the top of the page. That's what you focus on. Lots of more efficient ways to work on intonation. I assume we're talking about Exercise 1 in Book 1 of Schradieck School of Violin Technique. Only about 5% of all violinists turn the page. When you do you will find out that it gets hard, fast.
Edited: May 22, 2020, 4:43 AM · I am about to turn the page! But first a cat among the pidgeons - what do you think of listen to the radio/audio book whilst doing them along with the midi file? Liszt would have been fine with it. In fact I think you could actually read a book eventually.

edit: turned some pages - ooh! what joy! ordered the book.

Edited: May 22, 2020, 5:32 AM · Given a choice between Schradieck and Sevcik, I'd choose Schradieck every day of the week.

And if you just want intonation exercises, there's nothing wrong with Dancla's Easy Melodious stuff.

May 22, 2020, 10:11 AM · Liszt was an overrated violin teacher, Bud!
Edited: May 22, 2020, 11:12 AM · He sure was well read though!
Edited: May 22, 2020, 3:50 PM · Looking at the first two pages of Vol 1 of Schradieck's School of Violin Technique I think they would also make a good basis for a pianist's training exercises in the earlier stages - developing even and steady control of dynamics and timing, etc.
May 23, 2020, 2:40 AM · Bud, before you turn the first page: do it again but in A minor, i.e., no C#. Makes quite a difference (meaning, it is harder and you need to have an even better left hand position to do this properly).
May 23, 2020, 6:16 AM · Just did. Yes, if you're keeping your fingers down C to D's quite a workout!
May 23, 2020, 7:57 AM · Glenn Gould reputedly listened to the radio whilst practicing. When we were kids my brother (cellist) used to memorize his pieces immediately, like after playing through them twice. He was fascinated with electronics (and eventually became an electrical engineer by trade, and a standout jazz bassist on the weekends), and one day he got caught having the Radio Shack catalog on his stand whilst practicing solo Bach. He learned to make sure his stand was facing away from the door.
Edited: May 24, 2020, 11:06 AM · I went to another edition (also IMSLP) as I wasn't sure of the bowing for no. 4. This is very interesting! Any comments? The second measures always copy the first.
Schradiek-no-4

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Watch Gilharmonic on Violinist.com
Watch Gilharmonic on Violinist.com

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe