Pieces to Audition for Summer Camps

Edited: May 19, 2020, 9:10 AM · Even though with the Coronavirus situation right now, fortunately, a music festival is still hosting in my country around August(the virus situation is less serious here).

The festival is open for musicians aged 15~30 (currently 17 years old, been playing for 8 years), and judging by the skill levels I'd say it's moderately competitive, with a roughly 35% acceptance rate.

This is one of the requirements of the festival:

"1. One movement of a major concerto (Mozart accepted), cadenza included

OR
A major concert piece (Examples: Sarasate: Carmen Fantasy, Chausson: Poème, Saint-Saëns: Introduction & Rondo capriccioso, etc.) "

I was wondering if there are even more examples of "major concert pieces" that are technically easier than the ones mentioned above? (with the exception of concertos, which I'm planning on playing Mozart 3 or Bruch 1st movement if there aren't any more concert pieces options)

Replies (3)

May 19, 2020, 9:27 AM · You should check with someone knowledgeable about this camp but easier concert pieces include Romanza Andaluza or Malaguena (Sarasate), Rumanian Dances (Bartok), La Gitana or Liebesleid (Kreisler). No idea if any of those would be competitive.
Edited: May 19, 2020, 11:15 AM · A few more that are still technical but not as hard as those listed above:

Sarasate - Zigeunerweisen
Wieniawski - Scherzo Tarantelle
Sarasate - Introduction and Tarantella

Easier: Meditation from Thais, Praeludium and Allegro

May 19, 2020, 2:01 PM · Why not play Bruch or Mozart if you know them well? If the festival is in August, presumably you'll need to audition fairly soon. If you were planning for next year's audition, of course you'd want to start to work on something new and more challenging.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Watch Gilharmonic on Violinist.com
Watch Gilharmonic on Violinist.com

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe