Online Content During Corona

Edited: May 18, 2020, 4:58 PM · Sharing a link to a FB page a friend sent me. Copy the link in your browser and look under events. They have some past events online and some things coming up every Tuesday and Thursday:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/TheNextFestivalOfEmergingArtists/events/?ref=page_internal

I've also watched some of Augustin Hadelich's YouTube videos which are full of very good info.

Please share anything interesting- many of us are sitting at home with nothing to do!

Replies (13)

May 19, 2020, 2:35 AM · Soloist Ray Chen is reviewing playing and doing random streams.
Edited: May 19, 2020, 7:07 AM · Dos Coronas, por favor.

If you've got $800 lying around (check those sofa cushions) then you might consider Nathan Cole's summer program.

The "agadmator" chess channel on YouTube is fun.

May 19, 2020, 10:55 PM · Paul is it really that much?
Edited: May 20, 2020, 8:53 AM · The Bloomington Early Music Festival has been moved online for obvious reasons. They are streaming each evening's performance at 7pm Eastern (both FB and YouTube), and leaving the video up for later viewing as well.

Bloomington Early Music Festival YouTube Channel

Edited: May 20, 2020, 9:24 AM · Jake, that's less than the one-week summer camp I was going to go to, which was cancelled. If I learn different ways to practice, new ways to think about improving more efficiently, that'll be worth $800 easily. I'm in my mid-50s and I don't have that much time left to improve. My interactions with Nathan Cole so far indicate to me that he might just have some really keen insight into modern violin pedagogy that others don't have. If it turns out to be all marketing hype, I'll be the first one to shout that from the rooftops. But I wouldn't have dropped $800 on something that I think is going to end up being snake oil. I'm not frivolous with money.
May 20, 2020, 10:48 AM · Another vote for everything Augustin Hadelich was kind enough to share with us. Lots and lots of great music and insights.
Right now I am watching Ray Chen's latest installment of "Offstage with", featuring, as ist happens, Augustin Hadelich: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pHuGSeuc04&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3P-UzrO5kC4NjrkOIDNjw2sABRAZAQZV4um5ImjInCDe7uDPYb4yJezV8

Two amazing violinsts (and incredibly nice and generous guys) sharing their insights and expertise, I enjoyed that a lot!

Edited: May 20, 2020, 1:20 PM · Jake, I though Nathan Cole said $797. Anyway, I have been following his Bach series and find he is an excellent teacher; he is great at demonstrating and providing exercise segments that lead you into advanced techniques without a lot of blabber that some teachers seem to sink into; his thoughts on interpretation are extremely interesting (for example, being listener-oriented: deciding not HOW TO PLAY, but HOW YOU WANT THE MUSIC TO BE HEARD. I would spend close to $797 on weekly lessons for 12 weeks, but some students would spend much more than that. Just my 2 cents. Edit: I just checked Nathan's website. The cost is 2 payments of $425 or a single payment of $797.
May 20, 2020, 12:05 PM · I have come to appreciate the work of the editors who assemble all the recordings and put them together for a single performance that makes a lot of people think that you can sing or play together on Zoom or any other platform.

One of the conductors of our Youth Orchestra program explained, in painful detail, what she has to do. It is a labor of love that nobody could afford to pay for.

May 20, 2020, 1:13 PM · I agree with Paul and Erin. Weekly lessons for 12 weeks at $60 an hour (which is my rate for teaching beginner/ intermediate- and I'm not nearly as good a teacher as Nathan) is $720. And given the high caliber of content Nathan has provided for free, $800 seems like a bargain.
May 20, 2020, 3:08 PM · Yes I agree it just seems a lot in one go
May 20, 2020, 11:23 PM · That's what credit cards are for. LOL
May 21, 2020, 3:31 AM · Nathan is an exceedingly kind person, a fantastic teacher, and an amazing violinist. The format would not work well for my immature 9 year old but if she were in high school or older and her summer plan got cancelled, I'd definitely sign her up for his program.

Paul, looking forward to reading your feedback!

May 21, 2020, 6:45 AM · If I were more advanced I would sign up in a heartbeat - even if I had to set something else aside to be able to afford it. As I am only at the end of Suzuki 3, however, it's rather outside of my league :-) Paul, I look forward to reading your feedback!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Find an Online Music Camp
Find an Online Music Camp

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe