Recording on an iPhone/Pad?

May 17, 2020, 6:32 PM · I've been approached by a group or two about virtual recording sessions, which is an interesting project. One problem I have is that my best equipment now would be an iPad (or iPhone 6). I am guessing that the mikes in that are not absolutely the best going.

Has anyone found a decent external mike for those devices? And what app seems to work best for the actual recording function?

Replies (14)

Edited: May 17, 2020, 7:41 PM · I have used the iRig iMic Cast that plugs into a quad mini headphone/mic jack, but would recommend finding a better mic. It’s better than the onboard mic though.I think iKmedia also makes better mics for music.
There are lightning to USB adapters that might also open on world of possibilities.
May 17, 2020, 7:54 PM · Many of my colleagues in the recent Musicians of the San Antonio Symphony videos recorded their parts on iphones.
May 17, 2020, 10:01 PM · For a budget solution, a Blue Snowball USB mic ($70) and an Apple lightning-to-USB cable will let you record with a great "bang for the buck" setup.
May 17, 2020, 11:37 PM · It really depends on your budget.

An easy upgrade would be plug-and-play smartphone mic like these:

https://www.shure.com/en-ASIA/go/motiv-mic/en/overview/

There are also choices of better mic which connect to your smartphone by appropriate audio interface or mixer. Some are sold in package like this:

https://www.musicshop.sg/product/live-streaming-bundle-with-focusrite-2i2-gen-3-audio-interface-and-audio-technica-at2020-w-floor-mic-stand/

People say, it's 80% about your recording environment and 20% about your mic and iPhone mic can be quite decent or you have a acoustically decent room or inside your wardrobe (proven in the youtube community). And the app really doesn't matter in your situation.

Edited: May 18, 2020, 1:11 AM · Does the app matter? I haven’t heard a significant difference with different apps. Maybe if you’re streaming using diff audio codecs? I use voice memos. For mics I recommend a fifine one. It’s a FINE mic for the price.
May 18, 2020, 4:20 PM · We have one of the Shure ones, which was under $100, and it works reasonably well. It's not amazing, but it is certainly adequate.
May 18, 2020, 5:43 PM · You want to make sure your app gives you the traditional warmth of vacuum tubes.
May 18, 2020, 7:06 PM · I recommend buying a proper condenser microphone and usb interface and recording audio and video separately, then syncing it up later. It's a worthy and not exceedingly large investment—that is, IF you plan on recording again in the future. If you need a cheap solution for a one-off gig then I'm sure there's something to be found on Amazon.
May 18, 2020, 7:13 PM · If you are using a separated mic, then my following post from maestronet applies...

As a former music recording engineer in studios in Chicago and L.A., mic placement and room placement will make a HUGE difference. For example, the reason why you hear so much bow noise in Heifetz recordings (Itzahk calls this his zzzht sound) is because he liked a very close mic placement. Invest in a floor mic stand with a boom arm so you can experiment with mic placement.

To get a good setup, try talking to the mic while moving around the mic to narrate what position you are playing from. Start at about 3 feet up from your violin at about 45 degrees from the violin facing squarely at the top/bridge/bow.

For room placement, try the mic in different places around the room. You will find different reflections at the microphone can make a huge difference.

May 18, 2020, 8:37 PM · To answer your question about the app: yes, it does matter a lot! I, personally, always use the GarageBand app that comes free with any iPhone for recording myself when I'm in a hurry or just without any proper mic on me. It's great for what it is. Just make sure to go into the app settings and turn on the automatic track length, so that the recording doesn't stop after eight bars. I recommend playing around with the settings afterwards until it sounds best to you and exporting it via email or cloud, for example. It's quite straightforward and I'm sure that you can find tutorials online, too. You might want to check out Dolby On, too. It is easier to use and has decent sound quality, though it does lack clarity to my ears. But it's also worth a shot and free.
May 19, 2020, 7:10 AM · What would the world be like without Dolby?
May 19, 2020, 11:22 AM · Much more monotonous would be my guess, Paul ;)
May 19, 2020, 11:33 AM · Maybe they'd have invented digital earlier.
May 19, 2020, 1:35 PM · Or later, to avoid all the low-res stuff early on?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Watch Gilharmonic on Violinist.com
Watch Gilharmonic on Violinist.com

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe